Monday, April 8, 2019

KATHY'S CINNAMON BREAKFAST CAKE

Last Monday was a super busy day for me. The temperature was finally going to be in the 50s so I decided it would be a good day to put the water treatment wood finish on the floor of the enclosed room we had made when we redid our deck back in November and December. We call it the back porch and also the conservatory. We originally were planning to screen it in but when the starting date was delayed a month or so, it gave us time to think about it and decided to enclose it with windows. (So glad we did, too.

Anyway I started the morning machine quilting a Blanket of Hope. That took about an hour but I wanted to get it done before starting anything else. Then I decided to get everything together to start applying the preservative on the deck flooring of the back porch. I didn't expect it to take almost two hours but it was the first coat and soaked up more of the product than it did the second time. I had to wait 1 to 2 hours before doing the second coat and besides it was time to eat lunch. I had worked up quite an appetite by this time.

After lunch I only had an hour before I needed to be at the church for SAM (Senior Adult Ministry) Singers' choir practice, but I needed a couple of grocery items from Aldi for the casserole I was planning for dinner, so I decided I would try to do that before choir practice. My husband Wayne was going to listen for me and be prepared to come out to the car and get the few groceries I had so I could run on to practice, but as it turned out I had plenty of time and was able to bring them in and put them away. 

After I got back from the church, I tackled the second coat of preservative on the floor. It only took about an hour for it.(*See picture at the end of the post). I was making a new recipe (Amish Potato Sausage Casserole) for dinner and while it was cooking, I was resting and going through Anne Byrn's The Cake Mix Doctor Returns! cookbook for an easy cake to take to share with the volunteers at HPC Thrift Shop. I had planned to make a German chocolate cake but by this time of the day I was feeling the pain of my labors of the day and wasn't in the mood to tackle it. Anne Byrn is my "go-to" lady when I am wanting something really fast and easy and I am never disappointed.

The volunteers at the thrift shop were not disappointed either. It is not just the prettiest cake around, it was also really delicious! The print in the cookbook for the measurements is really small. When I was typing up the recipe for this post, I typed 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar. I'm not sure why I did it, but something told me to take a closer look at the recipe in the cookbook. When I did, I saw that it said 1/3 cup. I honestly am not sure which I used. I think I might have used a 1/2 cup because I had quite a bit in the bowl when I was estimating about half of the mixture. I liked the way the cake turned out so I decided to share the recipe with you and say 1/2 cup. If you are reading this and not just looking at the recipe, you can decide if you want less sugar or not. I used a sugar-free package instant vanilla pudding. I could have also used a sugar-free yellow cake mix, but didn't have one.

I had to take two extra strength acetaminophen before I went to bed that night and didn't do much the next afternoon after I got home from my three-hour shift volunteering at the register at the thrift shop. It was a busier morning than it usually is, too. I hope you are still with me and will give this recipe a try. It is definitely worth it!

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



KATHY'S CINNAMON BREAKFAST CAKE

1/2     cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2     cup packed light brown sugar
2        teaspoons ground cinnamon
1        package plain yellow, vanilla cake mix, or plain butter recipe golden cake mix (no pudding included)
1        package (4 serving size) vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2     cup oil
1        cup water
4        large eggs
1        teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1        cup powdered sugar, sifted
2        tablespoons milk
1/2     teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a tube pan with nonstick cooking spray, then dust with flour. Shake off excess.
Sprinkle chopped nuts in the bottom of the pan and set aside.


Place the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir until combined. Set aside.


Place the cake mix and pudding mix in mixing bowl. Stir together. Add oil, water, eggs, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
Stir on low speed to mix the ingredients, scrape the sides of the bowl and then increase speed speed to medium and beat for another minute and a half. Scrape the sides of the bowl again.
Batter should be smooth and thick. 


Pour one third of the batter (1-1/3 cups) over the nuts in the tube pan.
Scatter half of the cinnamon/brown sugar mixture evenly over the batter.
Spoon another third (1-1/3 cups) of the batter carefully over the mixture. Scatter the rest of the cinnamon/sugar mixture over the cake batter and
then top with the last third (1-1/3 cups) of the cake batter.


Bake cake until lightly golden brown and cake brings back when lightly pressed in the center, about 55 to 60 minutes. Cool cake on wire rack for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Run knife around the edges of the cake and
invert the cake onto another wire rack. Allow the cake cool completely, 25 to 30 minutes. 


Meanwhile make the glaze with the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl.
Stir til smooth.
Carefully move the cake to serving platter and
spoon the glaze over the top of the cake.
Slice to serve.  











One more view of the top of the cake. It's so beautiful!

Here is a picture of the floor after the second coat.



No comments:

Post a Comment