Wednesday, April 17, 2019

AMISH CHOCOLATE SHEET CAKE

I don't want you to think this is your usual chocolate sheet cake (a.k.a. Texas Sheet Cake), because it isn't. The chocolate sheet cake is from the Amish. (Amish Cooking) I didn't even marked it when I went through the cookbook and marking the ones I wanted to try. I have made a bunch of recipes from this cookbook and am so glad I found it at an estate sale. I like to make a dessert in a 9 x 13 - inch pan that I take to the thrift shop where I volunteer and this cake is even bigger being made in a 10 x 15 x 1 - inch pan.

I started volunteering in Feb 2012 at the thrift shop, originally called Hillcrest for the Hillcrest Transitional Housing program, but now even though people still call it Hillcrest, it is HPC Thrift Shop. (HPC stands for Hillcrest Platte County because the money made for the program stays in Platte County only.) 

When I started doing this (treating the volunteers to a "sweet"), we were in our old building and I volunteered only downstairs. In that building there were two floors. Upstairs all of the clothes except sporting goods were sold along with linens, a General Store (room), shoes, and some really nice furniture. There was also a kitchen up there that the volunteers used. Downstairs, we sold the sporting goods, most of the furniture, electronics, lawn and garden, vintage, medical, office, seasonal items and Christmas, books, etc. There was a large room down there called the Community Room that was used for large meetings with the volunteers and even some community meetings. It was also used for sorting for the seasonal and Christmas department. Anyway, when I would bring in a dessert, except for one or two "upstair" volunteers who would come down to the community room to eat lunch, only the volunteers from downstairs knew I would be bringing something. 

In our new facilities, everything is on one floor and we have one Community Room. That means there are more people coming in and seeing my dessert. Before I would bring something I had made in a 9 x 13 - inch pan and cut it into 12 servings. Now I cut it into 24 pieces.

Monday, I thought I would just flip through the cookbook again and see if I had missed anything. That's when I saw the Chocolate Sheet Cake recipe again. For some reason, this time it captured my interest. So I made it and took it in yesterday.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.




AMISH CHOCOLATE SHEET CAKE

1-1/4     cups (2-1/2 sticks) butter, divided
1           cup water
1/2        cup unsweetened cocoa, divided
2           cups flour
1-1/2     cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1           teaspoon baking soda
1           teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2        teaspoon salt
1           (14 - ounce) can sweetened condensed milk, divided
2           eggs
1           teaspoon vanilla extract
1           cup powdered sugar
1           cup coarsely chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 10 x 15 x 1 - inch jelly-roll pan. Set aside.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 cup (2 sticks) butter;
stir in water and 1/4 cup cocoa.
Bring to a boil; remove from heat.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Add cocoa mixture;
beat well.

Stir in 1/3 cup of the sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and vanilla.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in the center. Cool on wire rack.

In another saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining 1/4 (1/2 stick) cup butter;
add the remaining 1/4 cup cocoa and remaining sweetened condensed milk.
Stir in powdered sugar and nuts.
Spread over warm cake.



Cut in squares to serve with or without ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment