Monday, April 29, 2019

BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD

Even though I know the volunteers at the thrift shop really enjoy the "sweet" desserts I take to them, I know they also really enjoy the "breads" I take. Volunteer Ellie told me last week that she enjoys everything I bring, but she prefers the breads the best because she doesn't like desserts that are "rich" (aka super sweet). 

This Blueberry Banana Bread I took last week was one of those breads that I received lots of thanks and compliments on. It was from Sandy Flick  of Toledo, Ohio in the 2004 Taste of Home Annual Recipes cookbook. The only change I made was using fresh blueberries that I had frozen. I just took them out of the freezer and spread them out on a thick paper towel to thaw. She also made the bread in three mini loaves and I chose to make it as one big loaf in a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD

2     cups flour
1     teaspoon baking soda
1/2  teaspoon salt
1/2  cup shortening
1     cup sugar
2     eggs
2     teaspoons vanilla extract
2     medium ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
1     cup fresh or frozen blueberries thawed blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray or grease 3 mini loaf pans or one 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan. Set aside. 
In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt with a whisk.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar til light and fluffy.
Add eggs and vanilla;
mix well. 
Beat in bananas. 
Gradually add the dry ingredients, beating just until combined.
Fold in blueberries.


Pour into pan(s).
Bake for 30 - 35 minutes for mini loaves and 60 - 65 minutes for large loaf. Check doneness by pressing lightly with fingers near the center or insert a toothpick in center of the bread. The bread should be firm to touch or the toothpick should come out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes in pan on wire rack before removing to finish cooling on wire rack. Wrap in foil to keep.


No comments:

Post a Comment