Wednesday, April 10, 2019

AMISH CHOCOLATE FUDGE PIE

It was my turn again to host the Quilters' Canasta group last week. Since there are only six of us playing, it means I can make a recipe in a smaller than 9 x 13 - inch pan. I could but then that would leave a lot for us to eat later. So when I saw this recipe for Chocolate Fudge Pie in my Amish Cooking cookbook, I didn't look any further. 

I sent Wayne, my husband, to the grocery store to buy a 4 - oz bar of sweet baking chocolate. I didn't realize he was going to have so much trouble. Seems our closest grocery store doesn't sell it anymore. Friend Dorothy told me when everyone gathered that afternoon that she was going to make a German Chocolate Cake for a relative because it is his favorite and she couldn't find the bar either. I still can't believe they aren't selling it anymore. I ended up just telling Wayne to get a semisweet baking bar. I will buy several of the sweet bars the next time I see them so I will have one when I need it and I am sure I will need one.The pie turned out really delicious but I can't wait to make it again using the sweet bar. 

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



CHOCOLATE FUDGE PIE

1       unbaked single crust pie crust (9 - inch)
1/4    cup shortening
1       bar (4 - ounces) sweet baking chocolate
1       can (14 - ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/2    cup flour
2       eggs, beaten
1       teaspoon vanilla
1/4    teaspoon salt
1       cup flake coconut (I used unsweetened flake coconut)
1       cup chopped pecans
Unsweetened whipped topping or ice cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Melt the shortening and chocolate in heavy saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat.
Stir in sweetened condensed milk,
flour, eggs, vanilla, and salt;
mix well.
Stir in coconut and nuts.
Pour into unbaked pie crust.



Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.

Serve with unsweetened whipped topping or ice cream, if desired. Refrigerate leftover pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment