Wednesday, October 10, 2018

NORMA'S CRANBERRY PUMPKIN BREAD

This is the second week of the month which means our quilting group, Blankets of Hope meets at the church on Tuesday morning which means I can't be in two places at the same time since I usually go to the HPC Thrift Shop on Tuesday mornings. When I sign up for the month and I get to the second week, I usually choose Monday to work instead of Wednesday.  With the new registers we have it probably wouldn't be as hard working on Wednesdays since they can put in them before we open that automatically gives clothing items a 50% discount. The other volunteers who work the registers on Wednesdays just always talk about how crazy it is (with so many shoppers). 

Monday morning one of the volunteers from clothing came to my register and asked if I were Patricia. When I told her I was, she said she wanted to thank me and tell me how good the bread was that I had brought. When I explained that I usually worked on Tuesdays except for the second week, she said, "Well, I'm glad you come in on Mondays the second week." I had several people tell me how much they enjoyed the bread and it was all gone by the time my shift was over so I think it was definitely a winner.

I found the recipe in my new Yolanda's All New Cranberry Cookbook by Yolanda Lodi. Norma is Norma DiCarlo. Yolanda said she especially liked the recipe because it made two loaves. She always makes them and freezes one loaf while they enjoy the other one. She recommends that you just take it out of the freezer the night before you want to eat it.

I used frozen cranberries that I had bought fresh and froze last season. I think it is easier to cut them in half. After I cut them, I let them thaw. Don't want to make two loaves? The recipe would cut in half easily (just measure out half of the can of pumpkin and then make some pumpkin pancakes with the leftover pumpkin.) I had to do a double take as I was mixing up the loaves when I realized it only had 1/4 cup olive oil in it. The applesauce takes the place of the rest of the oil. The result is a very moist tasty bread.

Click here if you would like a printable version of just the recipe.



NORMA'S CRANBERRY PUMPKIN BREAD

1       can (15 oz.) pumpkin
2       cups sugar
2       large eggs, beaten with a fork
1/4    cup extra-virgin olive oil
1       cup applesauce (I did use unsweetened applesauce)
4       cups flour
1       tablespoon ground cinnamon
1       tablespoon ground nutmeg
1       tablespoon baking powder
1       teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries, cut in half
1       cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9 x 5 x 3 - inch loaf pans.


In a large bowl combine the pumpkin, sugar, eggs, olive oil, and applesauce.
Mix with a spoon.


In another large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda (with a whisk).
Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, stirring with a spoon until combined.
(I added the dry ingredients using a large serving size spoon at a time.)



Fold in the cranberries and nuts. 



Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


Cool on pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the inside edges to loosen the loaves. Remove and finish cooling on wire rack. Wrap in foil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment