Wednesday, October 3, 2018

SAUCY APPLE DELIGHT

My husband and I took a quick trip down to Little Rock, AR this past weekend to celebrate my Aunt Virginia's 90th birthday. You would never in a million years guess she was 90 years old (young). Her children fried catfish and everyone brought something to share. I decided to make my Zesty Black Bean Salsa because I could mix it up easily after I got to my cousin Gale's house. While we were in the supermarket, my husband saw some small McIntosh apples that he wanted to buy but the paper bag held 5 lbs. I told him if he wanted them, we should buy them and I would make something with them after we got back home.

I vaguely remembered seeing a recipe using apples in a new cookbook I got at an estate sale the last time Friend Janice and I went called Jamesport Kuntry Favorites. I was so excited when Janice pulled it out because we love to go to the Amish community of Jamesport northeast of Kansas City. Saucy Apple Delight was contributed by Mrs. Orley Shrock. I have many, many Amish cookbooks - many of which have the same or similar recipes in them. I like to find ones that are unique and try them. This apple dessert was definitely unique. The recipe did call for 2 large apples, twice, and I decided a large apple would be close to 1 cup shredded. Since the apples were small I used 2 of them for each large apple and measured the shredded apples at 2 cups. 

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



SAUCY APPLE DELIGHT

Batter:
1     cup flour
2     teaspoon baking powder
1/2  cup brown sugar
1     cup raisins (I used dried cranberries)
1/2  teaspoon salt
1     teaspoon vanilla
1/2  cup milk
2     large apples, peeled and shredded

Sauce:
1/4  cup brown sugar
1/4  teaspoon nutmeg
1/2  teaspoon cinnamon
1/4  cup butter
2     cups boiling water
2     large apples, peeled and shredded

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray or grease a 2 - quart baking dish. (Mine was 8 x 11)


Combine the batter ingredients in a large mixing bowl and
blend well with a wooden spoon. I combined the dry ingredients first and
then added the milk and shredded apples.


Pour into prepared  baking dish. 
Prepare the sauce by combining sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, butter, and boiling water in a mixing bowl. (Notice I sliced the butter into thin slices so they would melt quicker.)

Stir until butter is melted.
Add apples.


Pour over batter. (I used a large serving spoon and spooned the apples out evenly over the batter and poured the liquid evenly over all.)
Do Not Stir! Sauce floats on top. (I took the spoon and pressed lightly if any of the shredded apple was not in the liquid.) As the pudding bakes, the sauce seeps to the bottom.









Bake for 30 minutes.


Serve warm 
with a dab of whipped cream or ice cream
or plain.
My little McIntosh apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment