Wednesday, October 24, 2018

AMISH BUTTERSCOTCH BROWNIES

Last week when I was at the thrift shop (HPC Thrift Shop), Volunteer Vali asked me if I still had her Amish cookbook she had loaned me months ago. I told her I would bring it back this week. I hadn't looked at it in a while (that's what happens because I am always finding new ones to explore) and was surprised when I found a note sheet full of recipes I wanted to try in it. This recipe was one of them. 

The cookbook? Country Cooking by the Amish of Buchanan County, Iowa. Mrs. Melvin Schmucker contributed this recipe for Butterscotch Brownies. 

I omitted the nuts because I made them Sunday afternoon before going up to our younger son, Patrick's home, to hang out with granddaughter Madison while Patrick and grandson Tyler went to his cub scout den meeting. Dil Lori had gone to the Chief's football game. Tyler has a peanut allergy so I left the nuts out because I knew he would want to eat one, too. The brownies did harden as they cooled. I'm sure that's why Mrs. Schmucker said to cut them while hot right out of the oven. So I warmed individual brownies in the microwave for 7 seconds. They softened up nicely and we enjoyed them so much more.

UPDATE: I may have to double the recipe and bake them in a 9 x 13 - inch pan for the Cafe Treats. I'm sure they will be a big hit there.



BUTTERSCOTCH BROWNIES

1/4     cup butter
1        cup brown sugar
1        egg
1        cup flour
1        teaspoon vanilla
1/2     teaspoon salt
1        teaspoon baking powder
1/2     cup nuts
sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a small pan with nonstick cooking spray. (I used a 7 - inch square pan.)

Melt butter
(I cut the butter in slices and put it in an oven-safe bowl and melted it in the oven while it was preheating.
When the oven had reached the temperature, I just stirred the butter to finish melting it.
) and add brown sugar. 


Add egg and vanilla.
Stir til smooth. 
Then stir in flour, salt, and baking powder.
Stir til completely blended. Batter is thick.








Add nuts, if using. (I omitted them.)

Spread batter in pan.
(I dropped most of the dough in dollops and wet my fingers to spread.
Then I filled in the empty and low places with the rest of the dough.
)


Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes til done.

Cut in squares while hot.








Good warmed up in microwave for 7 seconds to soften when cold.

Here are some pictures from our evening...




Madison insisted I take a picture of her half-eaten brownie on the plate with some of the other ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment