Monday, October 8, 2018

PEACH PUDDING

Since we got back from our trip to Canada and Boston and Vermont the end of July, I haven't made many desserts except the ones I took to HPC Thrift Shop or if I were hosting a gathering. I wanted to lose a couple of pounds I have gained since the beginning of the year and didn't want to be tempted.

I successfully lost the pounds I wanted to lose but have not started keeping the cookie jar filled again or indulging in any other special dessert.That is until I found this "new" Amish cookbook several weeks ago at an estate sale and so far I have made three recipes from it in the last week or so. I made the Saucy Apple Delight and took to the thrift shop. I made the Broasted Chicken for us and I also made this Peach Pudding. 

I couldn't help myself. I love desserts made with peaches and I had some fresh peaches I sliced and froze that I hadn't used. I did decide to use my stevia/sugar blend for the cup of sugar so I reduced the sugar calories by half. I really like the "dough" in this recipe. I guess maybe the two eggs made the difference. Whatever it was, we really enjoyed it. 

I told my husband I had made Peach Pudding and he was surprised and insisted on calling it a cobbler. I just reminded him that Levi C. Miller, Jr called it Peach Pudding in the Jamesport Kuntry Favorites cookbook. (Friday when Friend Janice and I went out for our normal Friday Estate Sales Day, we only had one estate sale we wanted to go to so we ended up going down to check out the main street in Parkville, MO. We went into an antique mall and guess what we saw in one of the booths....Jamesport Kuntry Favorites cookbook. I couldn't believe it.)

We didn't eat it warm after I baked it because it was in the afternoon, so we just warmed it up in the microwave each time we ate some. That just meant my pictures didn't look quite like they would have if we had eaten it when it was still warm fresh from the oven.



PEACH PUDDING

1     cup flour
1     cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup stevia/sugar blend)
1     teaspoon baking powder
2     eggs
5     tablespoons water
1     teaspoon vanilla
butter (size of an egg) (I used 1 tablespoon but have searched it and it said 1/4 cup)

4     cups sliced peaches

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 8 - inch square pan.


Put peaches in pan. Set aside.


Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, water vanilla, and butter til smooth.
(I combined the flour, sugar, and baking powder first and
then added the water ingredients.)


Pour batter
evenly over the peaches to cover. (So many recipes I try will say "pour" and there is no way I could pour my mixture. This one though - I could.)


Bake until is doesn't stick to the toothpick. (I cooked mine 30 to 35 minutes til golden brown.)


Serve with milk. (We added a scoop of ice cream.)

Levi says you can also use other fruit or fruit juice, thickened with cornstarch.

Here is a picture of my peach slices I froze. You can check out how I did that here.





2 comments:

  1. That looks so good! It's the kind of dessert my husband loves! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joansy, mine also. He doesn't like real sweet desserts. Good way to use my frozen peaches. Hope you are having a good day. Wet here.
      Patricia

      Delete