Wednesday, October 31, 2018

FRESH FRUIT CRISP

This year was another good year for our pear tree. I wanted to plant a peach tree or an apple tree, but my husband wanted a pear tree. A few years ago I made some pear preserves. I also made some pearsauce one year. That's like applesauce except you use pears instead of apples. One year I made a pear cake. This year, I found this recipe for Fresh Fruit Crisp. It states you can use apples, peaches, or pears. You don't find too many recipes that also includes pears. 

Last Friday, my husband went to estate sales with me since Friend Janice couldn't go. I found two recipe booklets for 50 cents each that I decided to buy. This recipe was in the Bake It Better with Quaker Oats booklet. It is a fabulous cookbooklet with over 50 Quaker Oats recipes and tips. I think I will be picking it up often when I want to find something new to make.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


FRESH FRUIT CRISP

1      cup oats, quick or old fashioned, uncooked (I used old fashioned)
1/2   cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
1/4   cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4   cup (1/2 stick) margarine or butter, melted
1/4   teaspoon ground cinnamon
6      cups peeled, thinly sliced apples, peaches, or pears (about 6 to 8 medium) I used fresh pears.
1/4   cup water
1/4   cup firmly packed brown sugar
2      tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2   teaspoon ground cinnamon
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine oats, nuts, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon,
and butter;
mix well. Set aside. 
In large bowl, combine fruit and water.

Combine remaining brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon,
Mix well.
Toss fruit with half of the mixture to coat and
then add rest.
Spoon into 8 - inch square glass baking dish.
Top with reserved oat mixture.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until fruit is tender.









Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
(My husband and I just enjoyed it warm with no cream but I did sprinkle some chopped nuts on top.)



No comments:

Post a Comment