Wednesday, August 22, 2018

MAYONNAISE CAKE

Since we got back from our trip, I have been busy writing up posts on our trip. Most of the cooking I have done has been cookies and then just desserts for gatherings that have occurred at our house. I haven't made a dessert for just us (I've been trying to get back to my weight before we went on the trip so didn't want lots of sweets in the house.)

I have made two desserts for the volunteers at HPC Thrift Shop (I still have to write up the first one. It was really good - an overnight coffee cake. Don't worry I will get around to sharing the recipe. It is definitely one you don't want to miss. I ate a very small piece so I know what I am talking about.) I didn't go to the thrift shop last week because our Blankets of Hope met at the church on Tuesday morning. I have been busy making peach and strawberry jam so I wanted something that was fast and easy and was baked in a 9 x 13 - inch pan. The recipe for Mayonnaise Cake in The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook sounded perfect. I didn't want to have to fool with a frosting and so the topping for this cake meant I didn't have to worry about that.

Do I have to tell you the volunteers LOVED it? I didn't think so. Several asked for the recipe so I told them it would be here on Wednesday. I did use light mayo and walnuts for the nuts. 

For a printable version of the recipe, click HERE.



MAYONNAISE CAKE

1       cup boiling water
1       cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
2       teaspoons baking soda
1       cup sugar
1       cup mayonnaise
2       cups flour
1       teaspoon vanilla
1/2    cup brown sugar
1/2    cup nuts, chopped
1       cup chocolate chips (I used dark - 60% cacao - chips)


Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan.


Combine the first seven ingredients 
and mix well. 
Spread evenly in a pan.

Combine the brown sugar, nuts, and chocolate chips;

sprinkle over batter.



Bake for 45 minutes.


Cool on wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment