Thursday, August 2, 2018

COCONUT CREAM PIE

After being away from home for 15 days and away from my laptop, I almost forgot how to turn it on. My husband and I spent three days in Boston before boarding Holland America's cruise ship The Veendam for a cruise around Canada and down the Saint Lawrence River to Montreal. Then we rode a Greyhound bus down to White River Junction, VT to spend a few days visiting my uncle and his wife before catching another bus to Logan Airport in Boston to fly back home. So over the last 2 weeks + a day, we have ridden in an airplane, rode on a ferry, subway, trolley, city bus, motor coach, and car. I took lots of pictures to share with you but it is going to take me a few days to share them with you. Hope you will come back often over the next week or so and check them out.

I managed to write up a few posts before we left and scheduled them to publish while we were gone, but there were more days I didn't share something than I did. Hope you missed them and wondered what was up with me. 

This morning I am just going to get out a quick one to you but it is definitely a winner. My Uncle Sam is having a birthday in a few days (actually the same day that our darling granddaughter Madison will be having one) but he and Eleanor are going on a rode trip to visit with his family and with their two children/families and won't be in Vermont to celebrate with Eleanor's family. Not wanting to miss out, Eleanor's sister, Pauline, made him a Coconut Cream Pie for him to enjoy before they left. My husband and I were certainly glad she did as it meant we got to enjoy one of our favorite pies. I only have one picture to share with you as I wasn't present when she "made" the pie, but it's a good one.(In all honesty, I took a picture of the whole pie before I cut it, but the picture didn't look great. You see when Pauline brought it to him we were not at their house. He had a cooler in his car but the pie wouldn't sit flat in the cooler because it wasn't big enough. My uncle Sam tilted the pie in the cooler so it would fit and that meant the filling sorta slid to one side. So it wasn't a great picture. That also meant that some people got a thicker piece and some got one with less filling. My picture is of a slice that was more generous with the filling.)

Pauline used the recipe for Cream Pie Filling and utilized one of the options to make it a Coconut Cream Pie found in Fannie Merritt Farmer's Boston Cooking School Cookbook. There were options for a Butterscotch Cream Pie and a Chocolate Cream Pie and one or two more but right now I can't remember what they were. I didn't copy the additions needed to make them as we were rushed for time. (I forgot to ask her what crust recipe she used and I really meant to because it was really good and flaky.) Realizing I had some questions about the recipe, I called and talked to my uncle Sam and Eleanor this morning and Eleanor told me her sister uses the whole egg and not just the yoke. She also uses a whipped cream topping like Fannie Farmer and not a meringue topping as some people do to use up the egg whites. Maybe that is why Pauline uses the whole egg instead of just the yokes as the recipes calls for. (I just love the way people change recipes to make them their own. I do the same thing.)


COCONUT CREAM PIE

3/4    cup sugar
1/2    cup flour
1/4    teaspoon salt
3       cups milk
3       egg yolks (Pauline uses the whole egg)
2       tablespoons butter
1       teaspoon vanilla
Whipped topping
1/2    cup coconut + additional toasted to sprinkle on top
1       9 - inch baked pie crust

Prepare pie crust, bake, and let it cool completely.

Fannie Farmer's directions: *See Pauline's changes below

Mix in a double broiler, sugar, flour, and salt.

Stir in 3 cups milk. Cook 15 minutes over hot water, stirring constantly til thick.

Add 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten and cook for 3 more minutes. 

Add butter. Cool.

Add vanilla.

Add 1/2 cup coconut to mixture and pour into pie shell. 

Chill until firm about 3 hours.

Top with prepared whipped cream and sprinkle with additional coconut that has been toasted. 

Store pie in refrigerator.

* Pauline combines the sugar, flour, salt, milk, and eggs together and then cooks them until thick and then adds butter and finally the vanilla after letting the mixture cool. (I have seen recipes like this where the eggs are mixed in initially instead of waiting until the mixture thickens. I like that way because I am always afraid I am going to end up with fried eggs when I add them to the hot mixture. Sometimes recipes will tell you to add a little of the hot mixture to the beaten eggs to temper them a little first, but it still scares me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment