Friday, August 31, 2018

CHOCOLATE NUT DROP COOKIES


I am ending this first ever My Patchwork Quilt's Cookie Week with another recipe from my Canadian Mennonite Cookbook. I needed one more cookie to serve with ice cream for dessert when the Friends' Couples Bridge group met at our house and since I didn't have anything chocolate, I knew I had to try this one and I wasn't disappointed. (Nor were our friends.) 

I, for once, almost completely followed a recipe. 😉 The only thing I did differently was using the brown sugar/stevia blend. If you visit my blog very often, you aren't surprised. I do try to reduce the sugar calories whenever I can. The recipe didn't say how long to bake the cookie. Since 10 minutes is a common baking time, I made one cookie and tested it after 10 minutes. I didn't want to overcook the cookie. One thing I was looking for was if the cookie was generally set - I pressed on the center of the cookie to see if it was just a little soft - not too soft but not totally hard.

Click here for a printable version of the recipe.



CHOCOLATE NUT DROP COOKIES

1/2         cup shortening
1-1/4     cup brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup brown sugar blend)
2            large eggs
2            squares (2 oz) melted chocolate
2            tablespoons milk
1             teaspoon baking powder
2            cups sifted flour
1/4        teaspoon soda
1/3        teaspoon salt
1/2        teaspoon vanilla
1            cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


Beat shortening and brown sugar
(til smooth);
add eggs and beat
(til smooth).
Then add chocolate and milk.
Then add sifted dry ingredients. (Make sure you sift flour before you measure it and then resift the dry ingredients together to blend completely.)


Then add vanilla and nuts.

Drop using a small cookie scoop onto cookie sheets. (I laid them with the flat side up as best as I could.)
Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. 
Remove and cool on wire racks.




2 comments:

  1. Mom & my sisters love chocolate & nuts so they will love this!

    ReplyDelete