Monday, August 20, 2018

QUICK APPLE DESSERT

Seems like August is my hosting month - Mexican Train, Quilters' Canasta, and Friends' Bridge Couples. The canasta group is only 6 of us so I didn't want to make a big dessert and then have leftovers. So I was really pleased when I found this recipe for Quick Apple Dessert in Better Homes and Gardens - Treasury of Baking Recipes (1979) cookbook. Fortunately I had a 1-layer cake mix, coconut, and apple pie filling - the main ingredients in it. Actually all that is left is the cinnamon and butter.

It turned out really delicious and the group was most appreciative. I used unsweetened coconut and no-sugar-added apple pie filling. Now if the cake mix had only been sugar free. As I was typing this post up I realized I was supposed to cook it for 55 minutes. The print was small in the cookbook and I misread it as 35 minutes. It was perfect.



QUICK APPLE DESSERT

1       package 1-layer yellow cake mix
1-1/3 cups flaked coconut (unsweetened coconut works well)
1/4    teaspoon cinnamon
1/4    cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1       21-ounce can apple pie filling (no-sugar-added works well)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Combine the cake mix with the coconut.


Add cinnamon.



Add melted butter
and stir til crumbly.


Press 2/3 of the mixture in the bottom of an ungreased 8 x 8 - inch square pan.
(I estimated the amount and then filled in the holes with a little bit more.)


Spoon the pie filling out on top in a single layer.


Crumble the rest of the cake mix mixture over the top of the pie filling.



Bake for 55 minutes.








Serve warm or cooled with a scoop of ice cream.

In case you missed it, this Chocolate Dream Pie is what I served the Mexican Train group.

No comments:

Post a Comment