Wednesday, August 29, 2018

PEANUT BUTTER - OATMEAL COOKIES

Already Day 3 of My Patchwork Quilt's Cookie Week and do I have an awesome recipe to share with you today. I love peanut butter cookies, but I think I like these Peanut Butter - Oatmeal Cookies better. They are lighter, not heavy tasting like plain peanut butter cookies are. I also like the added chopped nuts on top of the cookies. 

The recipe was one in my Canadian Mennonite Cookbook formerly called Altona Women's Institute Cookbook (1967 - twelfth printing) When we were in Canada recently on our trip, we saw a Canadian Mennonite Church but saw no Mennonites.


PEANUT BUTTER-OATMEAL COOKIES

1          cup flour
1/2      teaspoon salt
2         teaspoons baking powder
1/2     cup shortening
1/3     cup brown sugar
1/2     cup peanut butter
1         large egg
1         teaspoon vanilla
1/2     cup dark corn syrup (I only had light corn syrup)
1-1/2  cups quick rolled oats
1/4     cups chopped peanut

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease two cookie sheets.

Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together into mixing bowl.

Add shortening, sugar, peanut butter, egg, vanilla, and syrup.
Beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.

Fold in oats.

Drop by cookie scoop onto cookie sheet. 

Sprinkle tops of cookie dough with chopped peanuts. (I lightly pressed the chopped peanuts onto top of dough. If any small pieces of peanuts fall on the cookie sheet just scoot them up around the edges of the glob. As the cookie cooks it will spread over the pieces.)

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.



Makes about 3-1/2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment