Friday, January 23, 2015

TUNA CASSEROLE

When my husband and I were first married, we had tuna noodle casserole often. I think I quit making it because our sons didn't like it. 

Last night I decided to try it again but with macaroni instead of noodles. I also used cream of chicken soup this time instead of cream of mushroom soup. I liked it better. 

I also made a discovery making it. Did you know they are making a can of tuna 1 oz smaller now? I didn't. I have felt bad the last few years because whenever I made tuna fish sandwiches, it always bothered me that it seemed to take more to fill me up. It wasn't that it took more, I just had less left making me feel like I was eating more than I used to. My recipe called for one 6 - oz can of tuna and I noticed my can was only 5 - oz. So I decided to add a second can. I don't know how large the larger can of tuna is that you can buy, but I don't think it is twice as big. You could always use it if you preferred. I just don't like tuna casserole that is light with the tuna.



TUNA CASSEROLE

3        cups cooked macaroni (1-1/2 cups dry)
1 - 2   (5 oz) cans tuna, drained (I did use 2 cans.)
1         (10.5 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4     cup milk
1         cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook macaroni according to package directions. (I cooked mine for 9 minutes.) Drain.


In a 2 quart casserole dish, pour the macaroni.


Add the soup, milk, and tuna. 


Stir. Spread evenly in dish.


Cover with the cheese.


Bake for 25 minutes.


Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment