Friday, January 23, 2015

TUNA CASSEROLE

When my husband and I were first married, we had tuna noodle casserole often. I think I quit making it because our sons didn't like it. 

Last night I decided to try it again but with macaroni instead of noodles. I also used cream of chicken soup this time instead of cream of mushroom soup. I liked it better. 

I also made a discovery making it. Did you know they are making a can of tuna 1 oz smaller now? I didn't. I have felt bad the last few years because whenever I made tuna fish sandwiches, it always bothered me that it seemed to take more to fill me up. It wasn't that it took more, I just had less left making me feel like I was eating more than I used to. My recipe called for one 6 - oz can of tuna and I noticed my can was only 5 - oz. So I decided to add a second can. I don't know how large the larger can of tuna is that you can buy, but I don't think it is twice as big. You could always use it if you preferred. I just don't like tuna casserole that is light with the tuna.



TUNA CASSEROLE

3        cups cooked macaroni (1-1/2 cups dry)
1 - 2   (5 oz) cans tuna, drained (I did use 2 cans.)
1         (10.5 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4     cup milk
1         cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook macaroni according to package directions. (I cooked mine for 9 minutes.) Drain.


In a 2 quart casserole dish, pour the macaroni.


Add the soup, milk, and tuna. 


Stir. Spread evenly in dish.


Cover with the cheese.


Bake for 25 minutes.


Serve hot.

4 comments:

  1. Patricia! I am so curious, what are noodles? I thought macaroni was noodles, but I’m not that experienced in the kitchen!

    Last night I decided to try it again but with macaroni instead of noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all under the label of pasta. Many pasta recipes can be made with different types of pasta such as noodles, spaghetti, penne, rotini, etc. I hope this helps you. Noodles will also be identified as egg noodles on the packaging. Patricia

      Delete
  2. I had no clue! I’ve bookmarked this recipe to try soon! Thanks

    ReplyDelete