Saturday, January 24, 2015

CHOOSE YOUR SIZE MEATLOAF

Yesterday I shared a classic dish...Tuna Casserole. Today I am sharing another classic dish...Meatloaf.

Both may bring you good memories or not-so-good memories. Personally, I was never fond of meatloaf because of the onions and peppers in it. Some people can't imagine cooking without onions and peppers. If I cook with onions and peppers, I am not cooking for myself but for someone else. (Yes, my husband likes both.) I don't like the tastes of peppers but both don't like me and give me terrible indigestion. So I look for recipes that don't call for them OR I just leave them out. 

This recipe I made last night didn't call for them. The little meatloaf was so tasty my husband didn't even miss them. I have definitely found a keeper with this recipe. We put the 3 extra ones I made in the refrigerator for another meal. We might have to draw straws to see who gets the third one or maybe share it and just not have as much as we did with the other ones.


CHOOSE YOUR SIZE MEATLOAF

1         large egg
3/4    cup skim milk
1         cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2     cup quick oats
1         teaspoon salt
1         lb. ground beef

Topping:

2/3    cup ketchup
1/4     cup packed brown sugar
1-1/2  teaspoon prepared mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If using a pan(s), spray with cooking spray.

Combine the milk and oats in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the oats to soak up some of the milk.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg with a fork and add the salt, cheese, and milk/oats mixture. Stir to combine.

Add the meat and mix well. (I always start with a fork or spoon and end up using my hand to finish the job.)

Form the mixture to cook. It makes 3-1/3 cups. 

Prepare the topping by combining the ingredients in a bowl and set it aside. You will add this about half way through the baking time.

Here are some ideas....


I have these cute little loaf pans that measure 4-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1-1/2 inches.  I filled each one with 2/3 cup of the mixture.


The other 2/3 cup I cooked in a small tart pan I have.




I cooked them 30 minutes 


and then covered each with about 2 tablespoons of the ketchup/brown sugar/mustard topping and baked them about 25 more minutes.

Finished....

Removed to serve....









You could also make individual loaves and cook them on a large greased pan or sheet. Cook til done...30 - 45 minutes depending on the size you make them.

I have also made individual meatloaves in a muffin tin. You can have the mixture in a mound (like an ice cream cone) because it will cook down some. They will cook a little faster since they are smaller....check after 30 minutes.

If you wanted to make one big loaf, you can either form it in the shape you want or use a large loaf pan. I would cook it about an hour and a half spreading the topping on half way through the baking time.

No matter which way you decide to form the loaves, you won't be disappointed in the taste of the cooked loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment