Monday, January 12, 2015

APRICOT OAT SQUARES

Last week my husband started back at Fort Leavenworth to get ready to prepare the taxes for service men and women and local retirees. I only sent one goodie last week. I had a really busy week and just didn't have time to make any more. He said it was okay because other people had brought doughnuts, etc. He said he wasn't sure the group this year liked that much "sweet stuff". (What are doughnuts, I wondered?)

But I aim to please. So I decided to make these Apricot Oat Squares for him to take today. They are sweet but maybe they will think of them as a "breakfast bar" when they see the name. My picture shows them as "bars" but after I took the picture I cut them in half and made "squares". That way, maybe they will be willing to take one as they are small.

Anxious to hear what they have to say when he gets home this evening.

This is another recipe from the A Taste of Kansas City II Menus and More cookbook.  I think they usually have them at the boutique as a sample at the Symphony's Homes of Notes tour to encourage you to buy the cookbook. It is sold as a fundraiser for Children's center for the visually impaired. 



APRICOT OAT SQUARES

2        cups oats, regular or quick (I did use quick oats)
1-3/4 cups flour
1         cup butter, softened
3/4    cup brown sugar, packed
1-1/2  teaspoons cinnamon
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1        (18 - 20 ounce) jar apricot preserves
1/3     cup dried apricots, chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and lightly grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan.


Mix all of the ingredients except the preserves and apricots in a mixing bowl until crumbly.

Remove 2 cups of the mixture and set it aside.


Sprinkle the remaining mixture around the bottom of the pan and press it down to evenly cover the entire bottom.


Carefully spread the preserves over the entire bottom.


Sprinkle the chopped apricots over the preserves.


Crumble the remaining oats mixture on top.


Bake for 25 - 35 minutes until lightly brown. (I took mine out after 25 minutes. The edges were bubbly.)


Cool on wire rack completely before cutting.(Beware the edges may be hard to cut.)







As I said, I originally cut them as bars but cut the bars in squares when I took them out of the pan.

Store in a tightly covered container.

No comments:

Post a Comment