Saturday, January 31, 2015

JAN'S MOTHER'S APPLE CAKE

"Oh the joy of being retired!" If you are not retired yet and work Monday through Friday, you might be saying, "Oh the joy of the weekend!"

After a busy Friday with Friend Janice going to antique malls (not much to offer in estate sales yesterday) and staying up a little later last night, my body just didn't want to get up out of bed this morning.  But then I can say that that's the joy of being retired! 

It is also raining today. That means I didn't have the sun coming in our bedroom window to help wake me up this morning. It is 35 degrees outside and the forecast is for the rain to maybe turn into some light snow during the night. It is good seeing rain though since usually in the winter, any precipitation we get is in the form of snow. I like that the streets and sidewalks can get washed off.

Today I am sharing a recipe for Apple Cake that was a recipe of Friend Jan's mother. Earlier this month at Couples' Bridge, Jan served her Peanut Butter Pie and also her mother's Apple Cake. I had eaten the pie before so I decided to eat the cake. I am sharing the list of ingredients for the recipe just as Jan prepared it. You know me, if I were making it, I would reduce the sugar. But it was very good with all of the sugar in it.



APPLE CAKE

2       cups sugar
1/2    cup shortening or 1 stick of oleo (1/2 cup)
2       eggs
2       cups flour
1/2    teaspoon salt
1        teaspoon cinnamon
1        teaspoon nutmeg
2       teaspoons baking soda
4       cups chopped apples
1/2    cup chopped nuts.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

Cream the sugar and shortening/margarine til smooth using electric mixer.

Add the eggs and beat.

Combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda in a medium size bowl with a whisk.

Add to sugar/egg mixture.

Fold in the apples and nuts.

Spread evenly in pan and bake for 30 minutes.

Can serve along or with whipped topping.




Hope you have a good weekend wherever you are! Monday when I check back with you it will be February. Will Valentine's Day be far behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment