Thursday, January 15, 2015

LEMON LOAF

I have seen this recipe a number of times. It has been given credit for being the recipe Starbucks uses for its Lemon Loaf. I don't know if this is true or not. Personally I doubt it. I don't drink coffee and can honestly say I have only been to a Starbucks a couple of times for hot chocolate. Both of those times, I didn't buy any of their baked goods. So I don't know if this tastes like their Lemon Loaf or not. I can say, "Boy! Is it delicious!"

For once, I followed the recipe fairly close. I just used margarine for the butter and did use canola oil instead of the recommended coconut oil. I really had no complaints about my end results. 

My husband took it to share with the other "workers" in the tax office at Fort Leavenworth  yesterday. The first thing he said when he walked in the house was, "Well, Dear, they really liked the loaf. They ate every bit of it. (Usually he comes home and says they ate about half of it. There was other stuff there for them to eat.) Amanda said to send something tomorrow because everyone will be there tomorrow." 

Unfortunately, I have come down with a cold and I didn't get anything made for him to take today. I told him to tell Amanda I was really sorry. As soon as I am feeling better, I will be making this again but in the mini loaf pans so I can enjoy one and freeze the others.



LEMON LOAF

1-1/2        cups flour
1/2           teaspoon baking soda
1/2           teaspoon baking powder
1/2           teaspoon salt
3              eggs
1               cup sugar
2              tablespoons margarine, softened
1               teaspoon vanilla
1               teaspoon lemon extract
1/3           cup lemon juice
1/2           cup canola oil

LEMON ICING

1             cup + 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, sifted
2            tablespoons milk (I used skim milk)
1/2         teaspoon lemon extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease or spray a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan.


Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl with a whisk.

Using a mixer, combine the eggs, sugar, lemon extract and lemon juice.

Pour the egg mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture. Stir til smooth with the whisk.

Add the oil, and mix well.


Pour batter into loaf pan.

Bake for 45 minutes.

Cool in pan for 10 - 15 minutes before removing to cool on wire rack.





Prepare icing and frost loaf when it is cool if you want the loaf to have a thick glaze.

Make the icing by mixing all of the ingredients on low with a mixer. You will need to scrape the sides of the bowl several times.


Let the icing rest for it to set up or thicken.


Spread over loaf before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment