Wednesday, March 12, 2014

LEMON-BLUEBERRY YOGURT LOAF

Most of the recipes I make, especially dessert recipes, I alter the recipe to reduce the sugar and fat as much as I can. I also will substitute whole grain flours when I feel the taste won't be affected by doing so.  If you are checking out a recipe on my blog, please know that it isn't necessary to use these ingredients as I will usually include amounts for what I call "regular" ingredients.

This recipe for Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf is another one I had printed off back in August of 2012 from sweetpeaskitchen.com, but hadn't ever gotten around to trying it.  (The problem is I have way too many recipes that look interesting to me.)  I decided to finally try it when I was looking for something to take on Tuesday to Hillcrest Thrift Shop.  I usually take something that I have reduced the calories as much as I can as I know that is important to several of them.  I think they look forward to Tuesday knowing that I will be bringing something to share with them.  I always get so many compliments. 

There is a print friendly button in the bar at the bottom of the post. You can chose to print the post without the pictures.




LEMON-BLUEBERRY YOGURT LOAF


For the loaf:

1-1/2       cups (+ 1 tablespoon for the blueberries) all-purpose flour
2              teaspoons baking powder
1/2           teaspoon salt
1              cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
1/2           cup truvia baking blend (or 1 cup sugar)
3              large eggs
2              teaspoons California Lemon Peel
1/2           teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2           cup canola oil
1-1/2       cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed and rinsed

For the Lemon Syrup:

1/3          cup lemon juice
1/3          cup stevia (or sugar)

For the Lemon Glaze:

1             cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
2             tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray 3 mini loaf pans or one 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.


If using frozen blueberries, rinse and then spread on a cookie sheet covered with paper towels to thaw.

In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon peel, vanilla, and oil.

Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

In a separate bowl, mix the blueberries with the tablespoon of flour coating the berries. 


Fold them carefully into the batter.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan(s) and bake for 40 minutes (mini loaves) or 50 -55 minutes for single large loaf.

While the loaves are baking, make the lemon syrup by combining the lemon juice and stevia in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir mixture until stevia has dissolved.


Cook for 3 minutes and then remove from heat.

Let loaves cool on wire rack for 5 - 10 minutes.  


Using a fork, poke holes in the top of the loaves.  




Using a small spoon or brush, carefully cover the top of the loaves with about half of the lemon syrup.

Wait about 5 - 10 minutes and then cover the tops again using the rest of the syrup.

Let the loaves cool completely before removing from pans.

Make the lemon glaze in a small bowl. Sift the confectioners' sugar and 


add the lemon juice.  Stir til smooth.

Carefully pour the lemon glaze over the top of the cooled loaves. 





Allow to harden before slicing the loaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment