Monday, March 3, 2014

NUTTY PISTACHIO CAKE

I recently made a Pistachio Cream Pie and shared it here on my blog. I also shared it on my Facebook page and Kristy commented that her mother had a pistachio cake that she made that was really good. I emailed her mother, Vicki, and told her I needed a dessert for Saturday night for the Dinner Club. She sent me the recipe and told me she followed the recipe except she did try to reduce calories as much as she could using sugar free ingredients.  

The recipe came from Taste of Home and was called Pistachio Cake with Walnuts. I have to admit the walnuts just bothered me. I couldn't understand why you would make a pistachio cake and then put walnuts in it. So I decided I would make the pistachio cake and add chopped pistachio meats. I have to say, I had to turn the handle on my trusty little nut chopper harder than I usually do with just walnuts or pecans, but it was worth the effort. It is just full of those pistachio nuts.




NUTTY PISTACHIO CAKE


Cake:
1       package white cake mix (regular size - no pudding in mix)
1       package (4 servings size) instant pistachio pudding mix (I used sugar free to reduce the amount of sugar
3     large eggs
1       cup club soda
3/4  cup canola oil
1       cup chopped pistachio meats

Frosting:
1       package (4 servings size) instant pistachio pudding mix
1       cup skim milk
1       carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 - inch fluted tube pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, club soda, and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl.

Increase speed to medium and beat 2 more minutes.

Fold in the chopped pistachio meats.

Transfer to prepared pan.

Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes in pan on wire rack.

Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.









For frosting, in a large bowl, combine the pudding mix and milk; bet on low speed 1 minute.

Fold in the whipped topping.

Spread over cake.



Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment