Sunday, March 2, 2014

BUTTERMILK CHOCOLATE BREAD

Hopefully we have seen our last snow for the winter of 2013/2014. We ended up getting about what looks like 2 - 3 inches. But it is so cold. It is almost 5:00 pm and it is only 2 degrees F outside. Brrrr. Our minister this morning at church told us to keep thinking "Spring" and "July". I am definitely ready for spring and even more for July.  The good news ... these really low temperatures are supposed to be gone tomorrow and even be in the 50s by Thursday or Friday depending on which television channel you are watching. I've got my fingers crossed. 

This recipe I am sharing today came from a Taste of Home magazine. Sorry I didn't write down which issue on my recipe card. The card has been in my recipe box for a while. I made it for my husband to take to Fort Leavenworth to the tax office where he is volunteering.

It smelled so good baking and it tasted even better. They really liked it too.  (I didn't get any pictures while preparing it because my camera's battery pack needed recharging. I didn't realize it until I was going to take the first picture.  It was charged by the time I was finished and the bread was done though.)




BUTTERMILK CHOCOLATE BREAD

1/2       cup margarine (1 stick)
1           cup sugar
2          eggs
1-1/2    cups flour
1/2       cup baking cocoa
1/2       teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon baking powder
1/2       teaspoon baking soda
1           cup buttermilk
1/3       cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Greased a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan or two pyrex mini loaf pans.

In a mixing bowl, cream margarine and sugar til fluffy.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Combine the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.

Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk starting and ending with the flour mixture.  (I "divide" the flour into approximate thirds and the buttermilk into halves.)

Fold in the pecans.

Pour batter into loaf pan(s).  

Bake for 55 - 60 for the larger loaf and 45 - 50 for the mini loaves. Check the doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center.  Bread is done if the toothpick comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes in pans on wire rack.

Then remove from pans and continue cooling on wire racks.




No comments:

Post a Comment