Thursday, March 27, 2014

APPLES N' CREAM DESSERT SQUARES


My husband always gives me a hard time because I usually make a dish for company or to contribute to a dinner that I haven't made before. Well, when we had friends over recently, I surprised him by making a dessert that I have made several times. It's that good and so easy.

According to what I wrote on the recipe card I found the recipe in the newspaper in a IGA supermarket ad. I was trying to figure out how long I had had the recipe by remembering where we lived that had IGA supermarkets. I don't ever remember shopping at one in CA and we moved there in 1987. I asked my husband and he said there was one in Fayetteville, AR.  So that would put it in the 80s. 

Since I wrote the recipe down, just about everything in it that contains sugar, you can now get sugar-free so when I make it now, it has considerably less calories than when I first made it.  As with all my recipes, you don't have to use the sugar-free/fat-free products that I use, but the taste isn't affected by the sugar-free/fat-free products that I do use. 



APPLES N' CREAM DESSERT SQUARES

1        pkg yellow cake mix (sugar-free)
1/2    cup coconut (unsweetened)
1/2    cup softened margarine
20    ounce can apple pie filling (no sugar added)

Topping:

1/2    cup sugar (stevia)
1        teaspoon cinnamon
1        cup sour cream (fat free)
1        egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In a large bowl, combine cake mix, coconut, and margarine. blend until crumbly.


Press in the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of an ungreased 13 x 9 - inch pan.


Dice the apples in the pie filling.


Spread the apples pie filling evenly over the crust.


In a small bowl, mix the sugar (stevia) and cinnamon; 


sprinkle evenly over the pie filling.


In the same small  bowl, combine the sour cream and egg; 


spoon evenly over sugar/cinnamon.
(doesn't have to go completely to the edge as the crust will bake up around the edges.)


Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until edges are golden brown. (filling will not be set)

Serve warm or cold.

Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment