Monday, March 24, 2014

ROTISSERIE CHICKEN WALDORF SALAD

The other day my husband called to see if I needed him to pick up anything at the commissary on his way home. Since I had been working on the remodeling of our master bathroom and hadn't any idea what I was going to cook for dinner, I told him to buy a rotisserie chicken.  It certainly was good and the perfect main dish after a tiring day trying to remove the popcorn ceiling in the bathroom.

After enjoying it the second time for a later lunch, I still had one breast and a wing still left. I had copied down a recipe for "something" using rotisserie chicken, but I didn't have any idea where it was. I went to my little desk and picked up a couple loose pages laying on top and saw a spiral binder with a clear top and a budget on the first page. I flipped through it to see what else I had written in it and 3/4th of the way to the back were these three recipes I had copied down. Believe it or not, the first one was the recipe for Chicken Waldorf Salad. That was the recipe. I still can't believe I was that lucky. I don't think "luck" had anything to do with it.

I noticed I was missing a couple of the ingredients and was prepared to run to the grocery store to get them, when my husband called to tell me he had everything, but did I want anything else. Can you believe it? There was definitely a higher power wanting me to make that chicken salad that day.

And I know why....it was so good. I love chicken salad, but this one is really good. I can't wait to have him buy another one. You wouldn't have to use a rotisserie chicken, but it certainly adds flavor to the chicken salad.




(ROTISSERIE) CHICKEN WALDORF SALAD

2       cups cooked rotisserie chicken breast, cubed
1       cup seedless red grapes, halved
1/2    cup Granny Smith apple, cored and cubed (I used a Gala apple)
1/2    cup celery, chopped
1/2    cup dried cranberries
1/4    cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2    cup salad dressing with olive oil (or mayo)
1/2    cup non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
2       teaspoons lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste

Prepare the chicken, grapes, apple, and celery.


Add them with the cranberries and walnuts in a large bowl.


Toss to mix them all together.


Combine the salad dressing, yogurt and lemon juice in a smaller bowl.


Add the "dressing" and toss to coat.




We enjoyed it as sandwiches..








No comments:

Post a Comment