Monday, April 8, 2013

BAKED BANANA NUT BREAD OATMEAL


I have been interested in trying a baked oatmeal that used bananas. The other night I decided to do a search to find a recipe....not to see if there were one, as big as cyberworld is, I was sure there would be one.  

And there were....many. Most I didn't like, but I finally decided to try a recipe I found at Budget Bytes. I only made two changes from the original recipe....I increased the spices. Glad I did. It is perfect. Tastes just like banana bread. I also added "nut" to the recipe title to better describe it. If you wanted to omit the nuts (food allergies or just not like the taste of nuts in foods) you can.

This baked oatmeal is great if you are having company. It also works if you are like me, just want to eat a bowl every morning for breakfast. It heats up really well in the microwave. Just spoon out a serving size in a bowl, and heat in the microwave for 45 seconds. Will keep up to seven days in the refrigerator. 



BAKED BANANA NUT BREAD OATMEAL

1-1/2     cup mashed bananas
1/3        cup brown sugar
2           eggs
1/2       teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon vanilla
1/2       teaspoon baking powder
1/2       teaspoon baking soda
1/2       teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4       teaspoon ground nutmeg
2          cups skim milk
2-1/2   cups old-fashioned oats
1/2      cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray an 8 - inch or similar size pan with cooking spray.



Mash the bananas with a fork.

Combine the salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a small bowl.




Combine the bananas with the brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and the dry mixture in a large bowl.




Add the milk to the mixture and stir well.












Add the oats.












And lastly, add the chopped nuts.












Pour the mixture in the prepared baking dish.









Cover the dish with aluminium foil and bake for 30 minutes.










Remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes (my picture makes it looks like I might have left the foil in the oven while it baked this last 15 minutes....I didn't.)




or til center is solid and edges slightly brown.










No comments:

Post a Comment