Tuesday, April 16, 2013

CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA LOAF

I just wonder how many different recipes there are for banana bread?  I already have so many, but Thursday when friends gathered at Dee's house for Mexican Train, I experienced another one.

Dee had left her recipe card out so I could copy it down, because she knew I would want to share it here.  It is a recipe she got from her "French friend who lives in Indiana and considers herself a chef", Francoise Mullis.  Since Dee was making it for us, she decided to make a double batch so she would have plenty to enjoy herself.

At "my" table for Mexican Train, we had fun discussing cream of tartar which is in the recipe.  Most said they couldn't remember the last time they had used cream of tartar (probably the last time they whipped egg whites to make meringue.)  I do have to admit I don't remember too many recipes calling for cream of tartar.

Anyway, the "loaf" was very delicious, so I have added another recipe to join all my other ones for banana bread.




CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA LOAF

1-3/4     cup flour
3/4        teaspoon baking soda
1-1/4     teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2        cup chopped walnuts
1/2        cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
3/4        cup sugar
1/2        cup vegetable oil
2           eggs
2           ripe bananas, sliced
1/2        teaspoon vanilla
1/4        teaspoon cinnamon

Combine the flour, soda, cream of tartar, nuts and chips in a bowl and set aside.

Combine the sugar, oil, eggs, bananas, vanilla, and cinnamon in mixer bowl and beat at medium speed til combined.  (Francoise uses a blender, but Dee said she just uses her electric mixer. If you decide to use your blender, blend on medium speed for 20 seconds.) 

Stir in the flour mixture, mixing well.

Pour batter into a greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.

No comments:

Post a Comment