Wednesday, February 20, 2013

LOW FAT HAWAIIAN BREAD

This Hawaiian Bread has to be one of my new favorite recipes.  It is so moist and delicious, but I have to warn you, it is hard to eat just one slice.  

I found the recipe in that cookbook that Auntie gave me--Eat What You Love!  There are so many good recipes in it that I want to try.  The cookbook was written  by Stacey Browning Pardue, LDN, RD. I don't know if she still has the show, "Just Ask Stacey", but in 2001 when the cookbook was published, her show was the number one source of information on heart-healthy, low-fat cooking and eating in the ArkLaMiss.  I know I am glad I saw the cookbook at my Auntie's and that she said I could have it.





LOW FAT HAWAIIAN BREAD


1       (14-oz) box banana quick bread mix
1       (15.6-oz) box cranberry quick bread mix
2      cups skim milk
5      tablespoons light applesauce (I used unsweetened applesauce)
3/4  cup fat free Egg Beaters
2      mashed ripe bananas
1       cup thin flaked coconut (I used unsweetened coconut)
1/3  cup sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray 2 loaf pans with nonstick spray and set aside.

Combine mixes, milk, applesauce, and Egg Beaters in large mixing bowl.  Stir until mixture is moistened.

Fold in bananas, coconut, and almonds.

Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake for 45-60 minutes.  Check doneness with the toothpick test.  Cool on wire racks in pans for 10 minutes before removing.

Remove from pans and continue cooling on wire racks.



No comments:

Post a Comment