Monday, October 22, 2012

BANANA BRAN BREAD

Today I decided to try a recipe I found that my mother had written down. 

You can see she didn't include much directions so I did what I am used to doing.  At least she wrote the temperature for the oven and how long to bake.  I have so many recipes that just say "cook til done".

I decided to try the recipe since I had some bananas I needed to use.  I can't believe how long I can keep bananas since I started pulling them apart when I get home with them from the grocery store.  These bananas have been in my cabinet over a week.  They were dark skinned and I expected the bananas to be dark also as they usually are when the skin is black.  BUT these weren't.
 Didn't see my tip?  Check it out HERE.

Even though you can see the recipe in the picture, I will rewrite it here.

BANANA BRAN BREAD

1        cup flour
3/4     cup oat bran
1-1/4  teaspoon baking powder 
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1/4     teaspoon salt
1        teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/3     cup margarine, softened
2/3     cup sugar (Splenda works well)
2        large eggs, slightly beaten
1        cup mashed bananas 
1/2     cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray one 8 x 4 - inch loaf pan or two mini loaf pans with cooking spray.

Combine the flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon peel in a small bowl with a whisk.

Combine the softened margarine, sugar, and eggs.

Mash the bananas and add alternately with the flour mixture to the egg mixture.

Add the chopped walnuts.

Pour batter into prepared pans

and bake for about 55 minutes if using one loaf pan or about 40 minutes in two mini loaf pans.  (Check doneness with a toothpick stuck in the center of the loaf.)  Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.

Remove from pans and continue to cool on wire rack.

I used two pyrex loaf pans that I have that are a little bigger than my metal mini loaf pans.  So the loaves are not as thick as they would be if I had used the metal pans.  They are wider though.

No comments:

Post a Comment