Tuesday, February 8, 2022

GOOD INTENTIONS & POTATO SOUP

I had such good intentions to get a post written last night (Monday) but was unable to move all evening because I had two cats also known as Charlie and Parker, laying in my lap. I am hoping I can complete my good intentions tonight. Wayne is sitting with them on the room upstairs that we added onto the house that we call the back porch. He said if they came down and bothered me, we could shut them up on the back porch. So far, so good. 

This morning (Tuesday) I got up with some more good intentions ... getting back to the Y and walking on the Lazy River. I have been staying away from the Y for several months because of the virus, but I realize I am suffering because of it. I had decided to go last Monday but after seeing the weather forecast for the week, I decided to wait until this week. They were forecasting 2 - 5 inches of snow early Wednesday morning so I figured I wouldn't be able to get back to the Y. (I planned to go M, W, & F) We only got 2 inches but school closed and I might have had trouble getting there anyway.)

So I guilted myself into going this morning since that is what I said I would do. I didn't get their quite as early as I had wanted, but it was okay. When I walked into the pool area, a water aerobics' class was taking place but not one was in the Lazy River and then I noticed the closed sign. The life guard said it would open in 45 minutes at 10:30. 

Well, so much for good intentions. Since I was there though I decided to at least walk a 20-minute mile. As I was leaving I asked about the schedule for the Lazy River. On Monday thru Thursday it is open from 10:30 to 1 and on Friday it is open from 11 to 1 unless they don't have a life guard.

After  getting home, I realized my yogurt for breakfast wasn't enough. Thinking what we could eat, I remembered another good intention I had had last week and got busy preparing this awesome Potato Soup that I never got around to making last week.

I've never really eating Potato Soup even though I wanted to because of the onions people put in them. I don't like the taste or smell of raw onions and are bothered by them even cooked in some foods. It always pleases Wayne when I make something new and add the onions for him. I either take out some for me before adding the onions or I just don't eat it. I left them out in this soup. 



POTATO SOUP

cubed potatoes, cut into quarters

diced onion, if you like

diced carrots (I used 2 carrots, about 3/4 cup)

chopped celery (I used 2 stalks, about a heaping 3/4 cup)

2    chicken bullion cutes

1    can cream style corn

1    cup of milk

1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup)

shredded cheese (I used only about 1 cup of a mixture of shredded cheese because Wayne doesn't like cheesy soups)

1/3  cup instant potato flakes

salt and pepper, to taste

I also added about 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary and thyme leaves and dried parsley flakes.


Quarter potatoes and add to pot. I think I used 7 or 8 red potatoes. It was enough to cover the bottom of the soup pot.

Slice carrots and add them.

Slice celery and add.

Fill pot with just enough water to cover the veggies to cook.  Add the bullion cubes Cook until veggies are done, about 30 minutes. Make sure potato chunks are covered with water.


I used a plastic slotted spoon to lift the cooked potatoes out and cut them in smaller pieces. 


Add corn,

milk,

cheese,

butter, and

whatever spices you are using.


When heated, stir in instant potatoes.


Sprinkle with dried parsley, if you like. Keep warm on low heat until ready to serve.









I sprinkled a little more cheese to my bowl when ready to eat.












Here are some pictures of Charlie (red collar) and Parker (blue collar).
Charlie liked the little girls singing at the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics.



Charlie finds the strangest places to sleep. Look closely at the picture. He is that hump under the coverlet. Wonder how he breathes.

Charlie sleeping in his bed.

Parker asleep on my lap.

Both asleep on their "tree"

I guess you get the picture...they sleep a lot.

But here is one of my favorite pictures. They pose so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment