Friday, January 21, 2022

BARBECUE CHICKEN SANDWICHES

 Back last or when I went f. or my yearly wellness check, my doctor and I learned my cholesterol was the highest it has ever been. As a result, she wanted me to watch my diet, get plenty of exercise (at least 20 minutes a day), and take medication to bring it down. Since she didn't elaborate regarding my diet, I decided to check out what was considered a good diet when trying to lower your cholesterol. Long story short I only eat a forbidden meat (beef or pork) once a week. So for seven and a half months, I've consumed a lot of chicken, some turkey, and some fish. My husband enjoys cooking fish so we try to have it once a week. I will eat turkey burgers at home and turkey sausage. The rest of the time it's --- Chicken.

The fun part is trying to come up with different dishes with chicken. In all of my cookbooks I finally saw a recipe for Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches. I like barbecued chicken and am not sure why I hadn't even thought of making it, but what a delight to enjoy a sandwich made with shredded chicken and a homemade barbecue sauce.

I cooked two chicken breast because I wasn't sure how much I needed to make 2 cups after I shredded it. The recipe actually said to chop it, but I prefer shredded chicken to chopped chicken. If you like extra bbq sauce, you might want to make a double batch of it. It was enough for me, but Wayne added a little of bottled sauce I had since the recipe made exactly enough for the 2 cups of chicken.



BARBECUE CHICKEN SANDWICHES

2     cups, chicken, cooked and shredded or chopped, whichever you prefer

1/2  cup ketchup

1/4  cup brown sugar

1     tablespoon mustard

1     tablespoon sauce

salt & pepper to taste


Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl.


Place the prepared chicken in a saucepan and

add the sauce,

stirring to cover

all of the chicken.

Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce mixture is warm on the chicken.



(You could also heat the sauce in the microwave and then add it to the chicken.

Serve on rolls. 

P.S. When I went back to have my cholesterol checked at 4 months it had dropped almost a hundred points. Now I don't know if it is the statin or my diet or maybe both.

No comments:

Post a Comment