Tuesday, January 11, 2022

CHICKEN RICE SOUP

As winter has finally come to the midwest, you can expect soup recipes from me. The Brunswick Stew I made and shared earlier hasn't seen much traffic. That's really too bad because it was so good. I had never made Brunswick Stew but it was easy and I was surprised how good it tasted. 

This time I decided to make Chicken Rice Soup using brown rice. I cooked too much chicken so I had chicken ready for my next recipe. I found the recipe when I was going through some Taste of Home magazines that were about 15 years old. I followed the recipe and only used 1/c cup uncooked rice but it wasn't enough. We ate the soup the first time, but then I cooked a cup of rice and added it to the pot. Some might think it was too much rice, but we liked it. I would definitely cook 1 cup of rice for the recipe.



CHICKEN RICE SOUP

3       quarts water

3       lbs chicken breast halves

1-1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4    teaspoon pepper

1/4    teaspoon poultry seasoning

1       teaspoon chicken bouillon granules (I used 2 bouillon cubes)

3       medium carrots, chopped

2      celery ribs, chopped

1      cup uncooked long grain rice (I used brown rice.)

1      small onion, chopped.

In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, place water, chicken, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.


With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from broth.

When cool enough to handle, shred or cut chicken into bite-size pieces.

Return the chicken to the broth and

add remaining ingredients.

Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender. As I said above,

I cooked 1 cup of additional rice and then added it to the pot.

A bowl with just 1/2 cup of uncooked rice used...

and a bowl with 1-1/2 cups of rice used.

No comments:

Post a Comment