Tuesday, June 1, 2021

AMISH RASPBERRY DELIGHT

 I made this delightful dessert for my canasta group before we went on our road trip to see extended family in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Florida but didn't get it written up before we left. I actually took my laptop and the cookbook, Amish Country Cookbook Volume III (Favorite recipes gathered by Das Dutchman Essenhaus) thinking I would write it up. I didn't even take my laptop out of the bag. I just enjoyed visiting with family and appreciating getting through the pandemic without getting sick.  

This recipe was contributed by Mary Arlene Bontrager, a waitress at Das Dutchman Essenhaus. The recipe calls for clear jel, which I had. It is used to thicken pie filling making a clear filling. It has no floury, pasty, or starchy flavor. If you can't find it, you can order it online. In the recipe you can mix the clear jel with the sugar first to keep it from clumping. If you forget, use your whisk.

I love the crust. I have a few recipes that call for this kind of crust and I always think I should make it more often. 



RASPBERRY DELIGHT

1       cup flour

1/2    cup crushed pecans or walnuts (ground up fine)

1/2    cup (1 stick) butter, softened or melted

      *     *     *     *

1       8 - oz pkg cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat Neufchatel cream cheese)

1       8 - oz container whipped topping

1       cup powdered sugar

     *     *     *     *

1-1/2 cup water

2       tablespoon clear jel, heaping

1       cup sugar

pinch of salt

lemon juice

     *     *     *     *

3       cups raspberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


Combine the flour, pecans, and butter.

Press in the bottom of a 9 - inch square pan.

(I used a fork to do this easier. I also press part of the crust and then fill in spaces with the rest.)

Bake for 15 minutes.

Cool 25 minutes.


Beat the cream cheese til smooth. Add the powdered sugar and

beat until well blended and smooth.

Add the whipped topping.


Pour into cooled crust.


In a medium sized saucepan, combine the clear jel with the sugar and then add the water, salt, and a little lemon juice. (I didn't combine the clear jel with the sugar first so had to work with the whisk to get rid of the lumps.)

Cook until thick.

Remove from heat and cool.

Fold in the raspberries. (May use strawberry glaze and strawberries.)


Spoon over the cream cheese layer.










Cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to serve. (I made mine the day before I took it to canasta.)


Cut in squares to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment