Monday, June 7, 2021

APPLESAUCE MUFFINS

 I surprised myself how easily I got up Saturday. I wake up several times in the morning, but often find myself staying in bed because my eyes just don't want to stay open. I will usually then doze for a bit and then wake up again. It is not unusual for me to not get up for an hour after initially waking up. Saturday though I waited to open my eyes for a bit and then when I did I got up.

Wayne was sitting on the deck drinking a cup of coffee and watching the birds. I couldn't help but wonder if he were waiting for me to make my special Saturday treat for breakfast. The thought had crossed my mind the night before as we were watching tv, but that was as far as I got. When he came in, he did ask me if I were going to make anything special. Sooooo I started looking quickly in my new The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook, Vol II that I got Friday at an estate sale. I figured I could find something fairly quickly in it. 

And I did; on page 42; from The Gingerbread Mansion in Ferndale, CA; for Applesauce Muffins. The recipe was simple enough and said they only had to cook 8 to 10 minutes (which I was skeptical about). I changed the original recipe by substituting half of the flour amount from all-purpose flour to whole wheat flour and I reduced the cloves to 1/4 teaspoon since Wayne is not fond of cloves. (He never mentioned tasting them in the recipe. In fact, he kept saying how good they tasted.) I did cook the muffins 15 minutes as I didn't feel they were done after 10 minutes.


APPLESAUCE MUFFINS

1/2       cup butter (1 stick), softened

1          cup sugar

1          egg

1          cup unsweetened applesauce

1-1/2    teaspoons cinnamon

1          teaspoon allspice

1/4       teaspoon cloves

    *     *     *     *

2          cups flour (I used 1 cup all-purpose and 1 cup whole wheat flour)

1          teaspoon baking soda

1/2       teaspoon salt

1/2       cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

     *     *     *     *

Grape Nuts cereal (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.  



In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg. Stir in the applesauce and spices.

In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the applesauce mixture and beat just until mixed.

Stir in the nuts.


Measure the batter into the muffin cups filling tins 2/3 full. (I have a small ice cream scoop I used that hold a scant 1/4 cup.) Sprinkle the Grape Nuts cereal over the top, if you like. (I didn't do this and we didn't miss it.)

Bake for about 15 minutes.

Cool for a bit and

then transfer the muffins to a wire rack. 








We cut ours in half and spread some spreadable butter on them. Yum Yum!!!! I made 19 muffins. I poured a little water in the 5 cups I didn't use so the muffins would cook evenly.




No comments:

Post a Comment