Friday, June 18, 2021

PEACHY PEACH COBBLER

 Since peach cobbler is one of our favorite desserts, I have a handful of recipes for it in various forms. Wayne always liked one I made that didn't have much juice because he grew up eating "dry" cobblers. I, on the other hand, grew up loving juicy cobblers.

At a recent estate sale, Janice and I sat for a while going through the owner's mass collection of cookbooks. I am usually looking for Amish cookbooks and  cookbooks from diners, cafes, or famous locations. I always look twice through cookbooks from B & B's, but the Volume Two of the American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook didn't need a second look. Just seeing the title was enough for me. I already had Volume One and have made so many recipes from it. Volume Two is interesting because it has recipes for other dishes such as desserts and veggies and main courses. I am sure I will be just as successful with Volume Two as I have been with Volume One.

Image my delight when I found this recipe for Peachy Peach Cobbler! And on page 25!

I had some fresh peaches that I had frozen in my freezer when the door was left open a crack overnight and I needed to use them. The bag originally had 6 cups of sliced peaches in it but I had removed some for another recipe earlier. This recipe called for 2 cups, but I didn't measure what I had left. They filled the bottom of my baking dish, so I didn't concern myself with the amount. It might not have been quite 2 cups, but the cobbler tasted so good and Wayne loved it also. The topping is different from my other recipes. I especially liked it with the taste of my "fresh" peaches.



PEACHY PEACH COBBLER

2       cups peeled and sliced peaches

Dash allspice

Sugar to taste

     *     *     *     *

3/4     cups sugar

3        tablespoons butter

1        teaspoon baking powder

1/4     teaspoon salt

1/2     cup milk

1        cup flour

     *     *     *     *

1        cup sugar (I used about 3/4 cup)

1        tablespoon cornstarch

     *     *     *     *

2/3     cup boiling water

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 


Toss the peaches with the allspice and sugar to taste. (Since my peaches were thawed, I just sprinkled the peaches with the allspice and about a tablespoon of sugar.) in the baking dish. Arrange the peaches in the bottom of an 11 x 7 - inch pan.


Combine the sugar, baking powder, salt, and flour with a whisk.

Add the milk and melted butter. Stir til well blended.

Spread the mixture over the peaches.

Combine the sugar and cornstarch and sprinkle the mixture on top of the batter.

Pour the boiling water over all.


Bake for 45 minutes.

Cool and serve warm or cold. Tastes good with ice cream or without. 

Store covered in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment