Tuesday, June 15, 2021

GRAPE NUTS MUFFINS

 We had temperatures in the 60 for several days after we got back from our road trip to visit extended family in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Florida. Then it shot up to the 90s. Everyone feels like we didn't have a spring and we just went to summer. We had a lot of rain before we left, but not much since we got back. Still trying to get back into the swing of things.

I guess one thing that is fairly easy for me to continue is making something special for breakfast on Saturday. Last week I waited until Saturday morning to find something, but I woke up earlier than I have been so it didn't delay us too much. It helped when I found a super easy and fast recipe for these Grape Nuts Muffins from Vol II of The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook I recently got. 

It also helped that I had a ziplock bag of 1-1/2 cups of the cereal that I had saved from another muffin that I made using the cereal. Wayne liked this muffin better. He liked that the cereal was hard and crunchy. The other recipe had you soak the cereal in buttermilk first. Since we liked the muffins so much, I'm especially glad that I mad 17 muffins instead of 12 as the recipe said.



GRAPE NUTS MUFFINS

1-1/4     cups flour (I used half all-purpose and half whole wheat flour.)

3           teaspoons baking powder

1/2        teaspoon salt (optional) (I did omit.)

1/2        cup sugar

1-1/4     cups milk

1-1/2     cups Grape Nuts cereal

1           egg

1/3        cup oil



Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin tins to make 12- 17 muffins. Set aside.


In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients with a whisk and then

add the milk, egg, and oil and stir with a wooden spoon.


Fill the muffin cups.

Bake for 25 minutes.

Cool briefly before removing the muffins with the help of a knife. Taste great with a slather of butter.

I made the extra 5 muffins in a 6 - cup muffin tin. If you end up not using all of the cups, pour some water in the empty cup(s) so that the muffins will cook evenly. You place some of them in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment