Friday, May 21, 2021

COLONIAL JIFFY CHOCOLATE CAKE

 As far as I am concerned, Lydia ann Miller, cook, and Edna Nissley, waitress, at Das Dutchman Essenhaus left out a key word in the title of this cake...Fudge. 

I made the cake because you cook it in an 8 x 8 - inch square pan which is just perfect for just the two of us. I didn't know how delicious it was going to taste. I did let the cake cool, I think, for an hour, but it was like eating fudge candy it was so good. I would highly recommend it if you were entertaining with a few couples and don't forget some ice cream. 

I did make one change. Nothing was mentioned about frosting so I decided to just spread about 3/4 cup of chocolate chips on top as soon as I took it out of the oven, waited about 3 minutes, and then spread them out over the top. Just the right amount of icing.



COLONIAL JIFFY CHOCOLATE CAKE

1       egg

1       cup sugar

1/2    cup cocoa

1/2    cup shortening

1       teaspoon baking soda

1/2    teaspoon baking powder

1-1/2 cups flour

1       teaspoon vanilla

1/2    teaspoon salt

1/2    cup milk

1/2    cup boiling water

3/4    cup chocolate chips, optional


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease or spray an 8 x 8 inch square baking dish. Set aside.


Put ingredients in a mixing bowl in the order in which they are give.

Beat with beater for 3 minutes. (I stopped about half way through and scraped the sides of the bowl.)

Pour into pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.









Optional:


Immediately upon removing dish from the oven, sprinkle in one layer about 3/4 cup chocolate chips on top. 







Wait 3 minutes and then


spread chip to ice the cake.
I thought I was going to have to put the dish back in the oven for another minutes, but I just kept spreading and ...

No comments:

Post a Comment