Wednesday, May 5, 2021

ANNIE EASTON NOBLE'S CRANBERRY CAKE

 At the time Yolanda Lodi completed her third cookbook,(Yolanda's All New Cranberry Cookbook) Annie Easton Noble was in her 80's and living in Dennisport, MA where she bred cocker spaniels. Yolanda used shortening when she made the cake, but found out Annie uses margarine or whatever other shortening was available during time of war. I decided I would be a little truer to Annie's recipe and used butter.

The volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop really enjoyed it. Volunteer Sue said it was such a pretty cake too. I agreed with her. I was so pleased that the cranberries didn't sink to the bottom of the cake but were spread out throughout the cake. I took a few pieces home with me to share with Friend Fran and Friend Rita. I even took another piece home to Wayne. I hope some of the volunteers who didn't make it to the Community Room until lunch weren't disappointed if they didn't get a piece.



ANNIE EASTON NOBLE'S CRANBERRY CAKE

1       cup shortening or butter (I used 2 sticks of butter)

1-1/2 cups sugar

4       large eggs

3       cups flour

2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2    teaspoon salt

2/3    cup milk

2       cups cranberries, fresh or frozen (thawed), chopped (I cut the fresh cranberries in half)

1       cup pecans, chopped



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 - inch tube pan. Set aside.


In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening or butter and sugar thoroughly. I allowed the butter to soften some by letting it set out at room temperature for a bit. Make sure you scrape the sides of the bowl.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.


Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.


Add sifted dry ingredients to creamed mixture, alternately with milk, bllending after each addition.

Scrape the sides of the bowl often.


Fold in cranberries and pecans.


Spread in tube pan.


Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. (I took mine out about 7 minutes early.)


Cool cake before removing from pan. (about 10 minutes) 

Sprinkle cake with powdered sugar (as I did) or frost cake with the following recipe (I have not tried, but I'm sure it's delicious) :







CRANBERRY FROSTING

1/2       cup cranberries, fresh or frozen

1/4       cup water

1          tablespoon lemon juice

1/4       cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened

4          cups powdered sugar, sifted

In a small saucepan combine cranberries and water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until berries pop (about 5 minutes).

Remove from stove and cool.

Blend in lemon juice.

Cream the butter in a large bowl.

Add powdered sugar, alternately with the cranberry mixture, blending after each addition. Add onlyy enough sugar to make a spreading consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment