Wednesday, May 12, 2021

BLUEBERRY BOYBAIT

 I'm still trying to find that balance in my pre-covid life with my post-covid life. I don't think I'm rushing things by saying my "post-covid life". We are still wearing masks most of the time, but are getting out more e.g. eating out, going to in-person church, and seeing friends. If we are with friends who are also fully vaccinated, we don't wear masks which is nice! We are even taking a road trip the last part of May to visit with different family members. Even though we might be driving 7 to 9 hours a couple of days, we will be with family at night so we don't have to spend the night in hotels. I'm still a little nervous about that.

Before COVID I had a very busy schedule/social life and I loved it, but after staying home for almost a year, I find myself wanting a good balance between busy days and days at home to just vegetate if I want to. Do you know what vegetate means? "Live or spend a period of time in a dull, inactive, unchallenging way."  I think that definition is so funny.

Anyway, Sunday was Mother's Day and it was a busy day with church in the morning, lunch, an afternoon drive, phone conversations with both sons, and a church Zoom meeting for a book discussion on Some of My Best Friends are Black. In the middle of all of this I found this recipe and tried to bake it to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop Monday morning. At 9:15, I decided to just cover the bowl of dry ingredients + butter and put it in the refrigerator. I decided I would just finish mixing it up Monday morning before I went to Hillcrest. By the next morning I had decided I would make the BoyBait and take it to the thrift shop, but then come home and that's what I did. 

I ended up machine quilting a Blanket of Hope, sewing on the binding and then slip stitching it down by the time I went to bed. I left the BoyBait at the shop and went back to get the dish yesterday afternoon on my way home from church and our Blanket of Hope meeting. The guys were exciting that it was still warm from the oven. I don't think they minded that I didn't stay and clean.



BLUEBERRY BOYBAIT

2       cups flour

1-1/2 cups sugar

2/3    cup butter

2       teaspoons baking powder

1       teaspoon salt

2       eggs

1       cup milk

1       cup blueberries, fresh are best, or frozen (I used fresh ones that I had frozen and thawed.)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12 x 8 x 2 - inch pan. (Mine was 11 x 8 x 2.)


Separate the eggs yolks and the egg whites. Sift together the flour and sugar.

Cut in butter until particles are the size of peas.

(Super slicing the butter and breaking it up into pieces makes this so easy.)


Reserve 3/4 cup for the topping.

Add baking powder, salt, 2 unbeaten egg yolks and milk. 


Beat for 3 minutes until well blended on low speed in electric mixer,

In a separate bowl, beat the 2 egg whites until stiff but not dry.

Fold gently into the batter.


Spread into pan.

Arrange the blueberries

over the batter.

Sprinkle with reserved topping.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream for dessert. You can also serve it warm as a coffee cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment