Monday, April 5, 2021

BAKED BANANA FRITTERS

 April is here and it is just perfect! Our temperatures so far have been at least 10 degrees above normal. Yesterday we worshiped openly outside with our church on the banks of the Missouri River. It was a beautiful day and so many people were in attendance that I didn't even get to see everyone I was looking for. 

Saturday was also a beautiful day that started off with these delicious Baked Banana Fritters! They were so scrumptious that I ended up making a pig of myself eating two at breakfast and then a third one later in the day. I ended up taking two when I got my hair cut for the first time since the end of September. I didn't realize it had been that long and when I think about it, it seems like it should have been longer. But whatever it is shorter now. Gonna be cooler and won't be pulled back in a pony tail.

For a printable copy of just the recipe, click HERE.



BAKED BANANA FRITTERS

1-1/2   cups flour

1/2      cup sugar

2         teaspoons baking powder

1/2      teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4      teaspoon salt

6         tablespoons cold butter

1         large egg

1/4      cup milk

2         teaspoons grated orange zest (I use dried orange peel)

1+       medium banana, chopped into 1/2 - inch pieces

     *     *     *

powdered sugar sifted (about a cup)

1/2      teaspoon vanilla 

3-4      tablespoons milk (enough to make a glaze)



Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.


In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt with a whisk.

Thinly slice butter and break into pieces in the mixture. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until coarse crumbs form.

(I did about a layer of butter pieces at a time in the bowl.)


In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and orange zest;

stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until combined.

About half way through with this, I realized I was going to have to use my hands or I would never get all of the dry mixture mixed in. 


I cut the banana into slices about 1/2 inch thick and

then cut each slice into quarters.

Fold in bananas.

(Once again, I just used my hand to mix in the bananas.)


Drop by heaping tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until bottoms are golden and tops are beginning to brown. (I used the full 15 minutes.)

Cool several minutes on a wire rack.


While they are cooling, whisk together some powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to give glaze a thick drizzling consistency. Dip warm or cooled fritters into the glaze.

Place dipped fritters on wire rack to finish cooling. (If you don't want a mess to clean up, you can lay a piece of wax paper under the rack to catch the glaze as it falls off the fritter.)


My new spring haircut...wearing my reading glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment