Wednesday, April 7, 2021

PECAN PIE CAKE

 I felt the beginning of April called for a special treat for the volunteers at the Thrift Shop. A recipe that calls for 2 cups of chopped pecans I felt like was a special treat. I had considered the recipe several times but had just not ever made it. It didn't disappoint.

Two of my "taste testers" were waiting on me when I arrived at the shop Monday morning. I didn't ask where the other two were. Terry decided I should take a picture of them. I told them since I talked about them I definitely should. I included the pictures at the bottom. Two other people had brought treats that were also on their table. I started to move them out of the picture and stopped and told the guys that I would say they chose my treat over the other ones. Two hours later, there were only about 5 pieces left in the pan that I transferred to a paper plate so I could take my pan back home.

For a printable copy of just the recipe, click HERE.


PECAN PIE CAKE

1       package plain yellow cake mix

1/2    cup (1 stick) butter, melted

4       eggs

1-1/2 cups light corn syrup

1/2    cup firmly packed brown sugar

1       teaspoon vanilla

2       cups chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.


Place cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg in large mixing bowl.

Beat on low speed until well combined, about 30 seconds. Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl.

Measure out 2/3 cup batter and set aside.

Spread remaining batter in bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.

(I dropped it in clumps around the pan except for the last little bit - scant 1/4 cup.

After pressing and

spreading the batter over the bottom of the pan,

I then took smaller pieces and filled in the vacant areas.
)


Bake for 15 minutes or until top lightly browns and puffs up. Remove pan to wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Prepare the rest of the ingredients.


Place reserved batter, corn syrup, sugar, remaining 3 eggs, and vanilla in large mixing bowl.

Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape the sides of the bowl.

Beat on medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute.

Fold in pecans.


Pour mixture evenly on top of warm cake in baking pan.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until edges are browned but middle is still soft. Remove to wire rack and cool 30 minutes before


cutting into squares.




John and Terry...




No comments:

Post a Comment