Monday, April 26, 2021

APPLE AND OAT BRAN MUFFINS

 I'm just a little bit behind on my Saturday Special Breakfast treat from two Saturdays ago or maybe I should say, "Thank you for waiting for my Saturday Special Breakfast treat from two Saturdays ago." The other day I read a meme that said - Instead of saying,"I'm sorry I am so late" say, "Thank you so must for waiting for me." Change your mindset. So I'm going to try to remember that.

I didn't get it shared sooner because it wasn't good. It was. Wayne especially liked it. It is one of those healthy muffins with whole wheat flour and oat bran. Throw in an apple for a little sweetness to go along with the 1/3 cup brown sugar and you have what we call "healthy". 

Another thing I especially liked if you prefer freshly baked muffins each morning is that the batter will last up to five days in the refrigerator. That way you can bake just the amount you want. They do taste just as good warmed up in the microwave though in case you were wondering. I cut mine in half and smeared with just a little butter and it was really, really good.

For a printable copy of just the recipe, click HERE.



APPLE AND OAT BRAN MUFFINS

1-1/4    cups whole wheat flour

1          cup oat bran

1/3       cup packed brown sugar

2-1/2    teaspoons baking powder

1/4       teaspoon baking soda

1/4       teaspoon salt

1/4       teaspoon ground nutmeg (I would recommend 1/2 teaspoon)

1/4       teaspoon ground cinnamon (I would recommend 1/2 teaspoon)

1          cup buttermilk

2          egg whites

2          tablespoons oil

3/4       cup shredded, peeled apple 

Nonstick spray coating


If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray muffin cups with nonstick spray coating. (I used two mini Bundt pan muffin cups since I was just making two.) Set aside.


In a bowl stir together the flor, oat ban, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon with a whisk until

thoroughly blended. Set aside. 



In a small bowl combine the buttermilk, egg whites, and oil with the whisk until well blended. 


Add to dry ingredients; 


stir just till moistened. 


Stir in shredded apple.


At this point, you can store the batter in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.


To bake fill muffin cup with about 1/4 cup batter.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.

Remove and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment