Tuesday, April 3, 2018

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE-MINT BROWNIES

While I have never made these before, I have seen the recipe or similar recipes in many different cookbooks. I didn't have a clue what I was going to make to take to share with the other volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. I hadn't seen anything that really caught my eye. After going through several cookbooks, I found this recipe called Double Chocolate-Mint Brownies from Amy Gitter in Fond du Lac, WI in Gooseberry Patch Made from Scratch cookbook.

Now that the shop is in its new building and everything is on one floor, my desserts are available to more volunteers. That means it is gone by mid morning. In the old store I would often find a few pieces left in the pan at the end of my shift.(Seems like no one wants to be guilty of taking the last piece.) Anyway, that isn't the case now. (I do make sure I go by and see the "downstairs" workers when I get there and let them know what I brought. That way they make sure they get a piece to eat later.)



DOUBLE CHOCOLATE-MINT BROWNIES

1       cup flour
1       cup sugar
1       cup + 6 tablespoons butter, softened and divided (2 sticks + 6 tablespoons)
4       eggs
2       cups (16 - oz can) chocolate syrup
2       cups powdered sugar
1       tablespoon water
1/2    teaspoon mint extract
3       drops green food coloring
1       cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.

Beat flour, sugar, 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), eggs, and syrup in a large mixing bowl
until smooth.

Pour batter into pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched. (I had to cook mine for 40 minutes.)
Cool completely in pan.

Combine powdered sugar, 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), water, mint, and green food coloring in a mixing bowl;
beat until smooth.

Spread over brownie;
(I cut away the edges because they were not uniform and attractive after the brownie cooled.) ;chill.

Melt chocolate chips and 6 tablespoons of butter in a double boiler;
stir until smooth.

Pour over chilled mint layer;
cover and chill again. (The chocolate topping hardens nicely.)

Cut into small squares to serve. (I didn't cut mine in as small of pieces as the recipe suggested.)


No comments:

Post a Comment