Monday, April 9, 2018

PEANUT BUTTER BANANA OAT BREAKFAST COOKIES

What's with this crazy weather? Fortunately when we came home from our week in Florida and then the 14-night cruise, the high temperatures for almost a week were in the low 60s. But then the temperatures dropped and we actually had snow on Easter Sunday with temperatures not even getting up to freezing. Then a warmer sunny day with 60 and then cold again. I think the worst thing is the sun not shining. It wouldn't feel so cold if the sun were shining. I can take almost any temperature if the sun is shining.

I haven't made any protein cookies or bars in quite a while. So I couldn't help but get excited when I was going through some "stuff" and found a notebook with recipes I had written down from somewhere (seems like half the time I either forget to write the title or write where I found the recipe) and there was a recipe for Peanut Butter Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies. Since I had bought a bunch of bananas that were starting to ripen on me, I decided it was the perfect time to give the recipe a try.

You can make these gluten free if you like by using gluten-free oats. I used natural applesauce with no sugar added and the whey protein powder I used was sweetened with stevia.


PEANUT BUTTER BANANA OAT BREAKFAST COOKIES

2       whole ripe bananas, mashed until creamy
1/3    cup peanut butter
2/3    cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4    cup whey protein powder (I used chocolate protein powder sweetened with stevia)
1       teaspoon vanilla
1       teaspoon butter extract
1-1/2 cups quick oats
1/4    cup chopped peanuts (I used dry roasted ones)
1/4    cup chocolate chips (I used 60% cacao)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.


In a large bowl, mix mashed bananas and peanut butter until
completely combined.


Then add the applesauce, protein powder, vanilla, and butter extract.


Mix again until completely combined.


Add the oats and nuts and
combine.


Add chips. 


Let dough rest for 10 minutes.


Using a cookie scoop, drop scoops of dough and
flatten with scoop.


Bake about 30 minutes. (I baked them about 25 minutes.)

Let rest 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet to cool on wire rack.


After I made the first pan, I decided to make them bigger. I put two scoops together (one on top of the other one) and flattened them with the scoop. (They don't spread any so you can put more than 6 on the cookie sheet of the bigger ones.)
Bake for 30 minutes.










You would want to eat two of the smaller ones with something if you were eating them for "breakfast" or one of the larger ones. I ate a larger one with my Greek yogurt and it was perfect for breakfast.

Store in covered container.

No comments:

Post a Comment