Monday, April 30, 2018

MAKING CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES with GRANDKIDS

What a perfect Saturday morning I had! The morning started with my 45 minute walk in Hillcrest Thrift Shop before it opened. I had a few minutes after I got home before my dil Lori dropped off Madison and Tyler to "hang out" with me while she went to work. My husband and our son were playing golf to prepare for a tournament they are playing in on Monday. (My husband gets to play often, but our son works and doesn't have too many chances to play. He always likes to go out at least once to play before the tournament. They have played in this benefit tournament for the last several years. They partner up with a friend and his son. They have a good time every year.)

While I was waiting for the kiddos to get to the house, I was trying to find a recipe that we could make together. We have done this before when they visited us at our house and I don't know why I didn't look for something sooner. But I found a recipe for chocolate chip cookies in a small cookbook I bought yesterday at the thrift shop for 25 cents that looked like something we could make together. 

I was able to go on and measure out the sugars and fill the sifter with flour for Madison to sift and then measure for the flour amount. I let her measure out the salt and baking soda after she sifted the flour. Tyler had fun watching the mixer beat up the butter, sugars, and egg. He also poured the sugars in the bowl. Then Madison got to add the flour and Tyler finished off by adding the chips (after they each had to eat one each). They wanted to measure out the dough for the cookies but had difficulty with my cookie scoop so I ended up doing most of it. (They were ready to sit down and watch some shows on PBS Kids, too.)

They were eager to eat a baked cookie and announced them good. We have so much fun cooking together and I hope it is something when they get older that they will remember with fond memories.

When their parents came to get them after lunch, I gave them a bag of them. (I did see Lori eat one from the cooling rack.)

The cookie is very delicious and the recipe only makes about two and a half dozen cookies, just the right amount to make with your children or grandchildren.

I did omit the nuts because they don't like nuts IN things (I think Madison might, but it is easier to leave them out.)

IF YOU WOULD LIKE A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THE RECIPE, CLICK HERE.



CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

8         tablespoons (1 stick or 1/2 cup) butter, softened
1/4      cup sugar
1/2      cup packed brown sugar
1         large egg
1-1/4  cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2      teaspoon salt
1/2      teaspoon baking soda
Grated rind of one orange, optional (I used 1 teaspoon dried orange peel)
3/4       cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/2       cup chopped walnuts (I did omit)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease two cookie sheets unless you are using nonstick ones.

Beat the butter and both sugars in a large bowl until light and creamy. 

Add the egg and beat until the mixture is fluffy.

Sift the flour and then measure flour amount and resift it with the salt and baking soda.

Add to the creamed butter mixture.

Stir in the orange rind, chocolate chips, and walnuts.

Drop the batter onto baking sheets about 2 inches apart. I used my small cookie scoop that holds 1 tablespoon.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until brown. (10 minutes was enough).

Remove cookies immediately and cool on wire racks.

Hope you will enjoy my pictures of the grandkids helping out.


Madison took this picture of me trying to put an adult sized apron on Tyler. We ended up changing it out for a different one.



Madison had fun turning the handle to sift the flour the first time.



Tyler says it is mixing up the ingredients.


Madison measured the salt over a plate to catch any that might spill.


Then she had to resift the sifted flour (I didn't get a picture of her measuring the sifted flower into the measuring cup, but hopefully she will remember how I told her to do it.)
Then she got to add it to the mixture in the bowl.


Tyler finally got to add the chocolate chips. He kept trying to add them during the time the ingredients were creaming together.



Two cookie sheets ready for the oven.



Cooled slightly and ready for two eager grandchildren to eat.

After we finished, Madison wanted to take a walk in the neighborhood and walk to the two lakes in the subdivision. (Needless to say, I got in more than my usual walk today. The latter one was the most fun though.)

I took these pictures along the way. They loved the tulips in this neighbor's yard. I had them stay on the driveway though.

The redbuds are also blooming so pretty in the yards.

We saw this blue heron at the bigger lake and Madison insisted I take a picture of it. Then it flew away.

We also saw two geese coming in for a landing on the small pond, but I didn't get a picture of that. I think it is the first time I have ever seen geese slide in for a landing and then sink into the water.

As I said it was just about a perfect Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment