Wednesday, April 4, 2018

BETTY CROCKER'S CHICKEN-RICE CASSEROLE

Since I started this blog almost six years ago, I find myself looking through my recipe box less and less. I started going to estate sales a few years ago (not sure exactly when) and one thing I always check out is any cookbooks they might have. I have so many cookbooks because of this, I don't have time to go through all of them. I really need to sort through them and get rid of a lot of them, but that's easier said than done.

When I wanted a casserole to make last week for us, I thought about this recipe I have in my recipe box. The only date I have written on the back is 10-12-87. (I used to write down the date on the back of the recipe card so I would know when I had made the dish. I didn't always continue after I started but that's how things go sometimes.) It is fun to look at the cards and see if I have written a date on them. I don't completely follow the recipe but that isn't anything new. We really like it the way I make it. I am sure it would taste good with all of the ingredients Betty Crocker intended you to include in the dish so I will include them in the recipe below. 

I make casseroles using chicken that uses canned soups and I like them. BUT I really like this one in which you make your own white sauce instead. I only used one chicken breast to make a generous 2 cups of chopped/pulled chicken. Depending on the size of the chicken breast you use, it might take more than one. I also use brown rice which is what we prefer. I make chicken broth using 1 cup boiling water and one chicken bouillon cube.



CHICKEN-RICE CASSEROLE 

1/4         cup butter
1/3         cup flour
3/4 - 1    teaspoon salt (I only used about 1/2 teaspoon)
1/8         teaspoon pepper
1            cup chicken broth
1-1/2      cups milk
1-1/2      cups cooked white or wild rice (I used brown rice)
2            cups cut-up cooked chicken or turkey
1            can (3 - oz) sliced mushrooms, drained (I omitted)
1/3         cup chopped green pepper (I omitted)
2            tablespoons chopped pimiento (I omitted)
1/4         cup slivered almonds (I omitted)
snipped parsley

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.


Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat.


Blend in flour, salt, and pepper.



Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and
bubbly.


Remove from heat and stir in broth and
milk.
(Stir til well blended.)


Return to heat and heat to boiling stirring constantly.

Boil and stir for 1 minute.


Add remaining ingredients.(I just cooked 1 cup of rice following the directions on the bag and then measured out half (1-1/2 cups) of it.)



Pour into baking dish about 10 x 6 x 1-1/2 or a 1-1/2 quart casserole. (My casserole was deep -- 9 x 7 x 2-1/2 - inches)


Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes.


Sprinkle with snipped parsley.


Serve and enjoy. Heats up nicely in microwave (I use the reheat - pasta setting on my microwave.) too for leftovers.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    This recipe looks tasty. How much rice does this recipe call for?
    Thank you!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Marie, I am so sorry I omitted it in the recipe. I have corrected the recipe as I also messed up on the amount of chicken. Hope my carelessness didn't cause you too much trouble. Must do better next time about proofreading. Patricia

      Delete