Monday, January 23, 2017

CHOCOLATE STREUSEL BARS

I am blessed in so many ways. Saturday my husband and I got to spend most of the day with our local grandchildren, Madison 6 and Tyler 4. We also got to spend a little time with our son, their daddy, who left to work on a friend's car. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see dil Lori, but she was working. The day started out cloudy, but the sun came out about lunch time and warmed us up. (The kids had so much fun playing outside. See pictures below.) Later that night we met with our Tasty Bunch group at Spin Neapolitan Pizza and then back at house for dessert and more conversation. (See recipe below.) Yesterday we served at our church on the hospitality team for two services. What a joy that always is! Favorite part is meeting first time visitors (and, of course) seeing our church friends. While I am not back to my 100%, I am getting close. After I felt my sinus infection was healed, but my sinuses were still an issue, I switched to my allergy medication and that helped considerably. I was able to sit for the hour and a half in the dentist chair while prep work was being done on my molar and its new crown. (I broke a corner off the tooth eating a granola bar so I could take my antibiotic with food earlier this month.) Those are just some of my many blessings.

As I said, the Tasty Bunch met at our house Saturday night which meant I was responsible for serving dessert. We were supposed to meet last Saturday, a week ago, but we delayed it a week because the area had been forecasted with a severe ice storm. (While we had a few problems, for the most part, we escaped.) So I had picked out this recipe the week earlier. The recipe of Jacob & Loretta Weaver was in The Farmhouse Kitchen cookbook, Amish Community Cooking from Greenville, PA. There were two other similar recipes also in the cookbook but they both used a cake mix for the crust and topping. This one used flour, powdered sugar, cocoa, and butter. That sounded interesting. 

I made the dessert Friday late and just stored it in the refrigerator (since I knew we were going to be with our grandchildren most of Saturday). I did get it out before we left for the restaurant so that it would be at room temperature. I would highly recommend this. The bottom crust is softer then.

I did use a chocolate sweetened condensed milk that I found at the commissary a while back, but have never seen anywhere else. Feel free to use the regular one. It will look different though.



CHOCOLATE STREUSEL BARS

1-3/4       cups flour
1-1/2        cups powdered sugar
1/2           cups baking cocoa
1               cup margarine (I did use butter - 2 sticks)
1               8 - oz packed cream cheese (I used 1/3 cup less fat Neufchatel cheese)
1               14 - ounce can sweetened condensed milk (I used a can of chocolate flavored sweetened condensed milk.)
1                egg
2               teaspoons vanilla
1/2            cups nuts, chopped (I used pecans)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine flour, sugar, and cocoa until well blended.
Cut in margarine until crumbly. I cut the sticks of butter into narrow slices and used the electric mixer.
(I covered the mixer with a towel to keep the mixture from making a mess.)
Mixture will be dry.


Reserve 2 cups of the crumb mixture.
Press remainder of the mixture in the bottom of a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Beat cream cheese until fluffy,
beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth,
add egg and vanilla. Mix well.


Pour mixture over crust after removing it from the oven.

Mix the nuts with the reserved crumbs. (I had to move the crumbs to a bigger bowl to add the nuts.)
Sprinkle on top of the cream cheese mixture.

Bake for 25 minutes or till bubbly.

Cool, chill, and cut. (I do recommend removing the dessert from the refrigerator for a while before cutting it serve.

I chose to serve it with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.





Here are some pictures of our darling grandchildren.

Inside fun. First time to play with Lincoln Logs.

Madison is good driver.

Tyler to the rescue when the battery got a little sluggish.

No comments:

Post a Comment