Wednesday, January 25, 2017

BLACK FOREST CHERRY CAKE BROWNIES

Well, I survived my first time back this year volunteering at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. It probably helped that the shoppers were generally steady and not everyone wanting to pay for their great finds at the same time. I did stay fairly quiet for the afternoon though. (Actually I worked on my granddaughter Madison's scarf I am knitting her.)

The dessert was a big hit! Jim, the manager, came by before the shop opened to tell me how good the "cherry brownies" were. Then I heard him asking another volunteer if she liked cherries and had she tried the brownies I had brought. When my shift was over and I went in the community room to get my pan, there were three small pieces left.

One 10 - ounce jar of maraschino cherries with juice is what is needed for this recipe. It contains 1/2 cup of juice and enough cherries to make almost a cup.



BLACK FOREST CHERRY CAKE BROWNIES

1       box brownie mix for a 9 x 13 - inch pan.
1/4   cup maraschino cherry juice (from a 10-oz jar)
1/2   cup oil
3      eggs
1       cup maraschino cherries, halved (10-oz jar)
3/4   cup chocolate chips (I used 60 % cacao chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

In a mixing bowl, combine the brownie mix, maraschino cherry juice, oil, and eggs until well blended.

Gently stir in cherry halves and chocolate chips.

Mix well. (I did just use my electric mixer but on stir or low speed)

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 28 to 30 minutes.

Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

Frost with Cherry Icing.







CHERRY ICING

6       tablespoons butter, softened or at room temperature
3       cups powdered sugar
1/8    teaspoon almond extract
1/4    cup maraschino cherry juice (rest from a 10-ounce jar)

In mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 cup of the powdered sugar until well mixed.

Add almond extract.

Add cherry juice and remaining powdered sugar, alternately, blending well after each addition until icing is smooth and reaches frosting consistency. (I misread the recipe and just added both at the same time. It worked.)

Spread over the cooled brownies in the pan.



Lia Wilson's Quick Fixes with Mixes Cakes, Cookies, Bars, & Goodies

No comments:

Post a Comment