Thursday, September 3, 2015

WILLIAMSBURG'S SWEET POTATO MUFFINS

When we went to Williamsburg a few years ago, we enjoyed sweet potato corn muffins in a restaurant. I came home and experimented and came up with a recipe jiffy sweet potato cornbread that my husband and I really like. Earlier this month when the Mexican Train group met, I picked up a cookbook in Friend Pat's house called Celebration A Taste of Arkansas, an Official Book of the Arkansas Sesquicentennial. I saw several recipes that looked interesting and wanted to try. One of them was this recipe for Williamsburg's Sweet Potato Muffins. (I don't think there is a Williamsburg, AR and really think they are talking about Williamsburg, VA.)

Either way, I made these muffins to eat with a big bowl of Texas Bean Soup and they were fantastic. I will definitely be making these again, but as I say below, I think I will make them regular size and not the mini muffins.



WILLIAMSBURG'S SWEET POTATO MUFFINS

2/3     cup mashed sweet potatoes, pureed
4         tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
1/2      cup sugar (I used stevia)
1          egg
3/4     cup flour
2         teaspoons baking powder
1/2      teaspoon salt
1/2      teaspoon cinnamon
1/4      teaspoon nutmeg
1/2      cup milk
4         tablespoons chopped pecans
4         tablespoons chopped raisins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 24 cup mini muffin tin or 12 - 18 regular size with cooking spray.


Cream the butter and sugar together. ( I softened the butter about 30 seconds in the microwave and just beat the two together with a wooden spoon.)


Add the egg and sweet potatoes.


Sift together the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Add the dry ingredients to the mixture alternately with the milk beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Do not overmix.


Fold in the nuts and raisins.


Spoon into the muffin tins. ( I used my small scoop that holds 1 tablespoon of water to fill my mini muffin tin. Since I didn't have much batter left, I went back and added a little bit more to the 24 cups. Next time I think I will make them regular size and fill the cups up. I could have easily had more batter in the cups.)


Bake for about 15 minutes for mini muffins. If you are making regular size muffins, bake about 25 minutes checking a little bit before that to see if they are done.




No comments:

Post a Comment