Wednesday, September 23, 2015

APPLE DATE CRISP

When our quilting canasta group met Thursday at Friend Fran's house, I had several different desserts I wanted to make. I finally decided to try this Apple Date Crisp recipe I found in a small cookbook called Recipes We Grew Up With from Taste of Home Books. I have made several recipes from it that have been big hits. With apples a good price in the grocery stores right now, it was a perfect choice. AND everyone really enjoyed it.




APPLE DATE CRISP

6 to 8 apples, peeled and sliced
1         cup chopped dates
2/3    cup packed brown sugar
1/2     cup all-purpose flour
1         teaspoon ground cinnamon
6        tablespoons cold butter or margarine, thinly sliced
1         cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the apples and dates in a large bowl.


In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon; cut in the butter. (I used a big fork.)  Add the nuts.


Spread the mixture of the apples and dates in a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish. (I used a slightly smaller, but deeper baking dish.) Make sure the dates don't all sink to the bottom but are spreading out evenly with the apples.


Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the top of the apples/dates.





Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until the apples are tender.

Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment