Wednesday, September 16, 2015

STOVE-TOP MACARONI AND CHEESE

I love "mac 'n cheese", but admit I quit buying it after my sons went off to college. When they were home, you could always find several of those blue boxes in my pantry. If I tried to buy a cheaper brand, my sons wouldn't eat it. It was our "go-to" meal when nothing else was easy to do.

Well, I just found a recipe for a really easy Stove - Top Macaroni and Cheese. I really think if I had made it instead of the boxed one, they would have never wanted me to buy the boxed one again.

Recipes We Grew Up With, a little From Taste of Home Books included Imogene Hutton's recipe for this absolutely delicious "mac 'n cheese". The recipe makes 4 - 6 servings so I cut it in half. Personally, my half version had at least 4 generous servings. I did decide to add a little pepperoni to make it more filling, but that didn't add that much to it.

My half amounts are in parentheses.



STOVE-TOP MACARONI AND CHEESE

1         package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni (1 cup)
1/4      cup butter or margarine (2 tablespoons butter)
1/4      cup all-purpose flour (2 tablespoons)
1/2     teaspoon salt (1/4 teaspoon)
Pinch of pepper
2        cups milk (1 cup skim milk)
2        cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese (1 cup)
Paprika, optional (I did omit)

Cook macaroni according to package directions.


Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.


Stir in flour, salt, and pepper;
cook until bubbly.


Gradually add the milk; stirring constantly. 


Cook and stir until thickened.


Stir in cheese 
until melted.


Drain macaroni and add it to the cheese sauce.


Stir to coat. 

Sprinkle with paprika, if desired. (I omitted.)
I just sprinkled some more pepper on top and added some cut-up slices of pepperoni.




When I have a post with lots of picture, I try to remember to remind readers that if you use the print icon in the bar below, you will be given the option to omit the images. I you do not see the print icon, you need to scroll back up and click on the title of the post. That will take you to just the post and the icons to print and share in various places will be at the bottom. "Home" will take you back to my blog and the most recent post.

No comments:

Post a Comment